lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
Sakislayer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Cart build up.... Good plan?

HUGE fan of the Buggies Gone Wild forum and all the help/advice...... So I'm hoping you all can help me with my Buggie and up coming build up..... Read a bunch of posts on this site and just wanted to go over my plan for my buggie and see if I can get answers to some questions and confirm I'm going about this in the right way.....

So -- my cart...... I have a 2006 Ez-go TXT 36 volt electric...... Has the original batteries (Trojan T-105's), original motor, original cables, original speed controller, original everything.......... EXCEPT the following..... It's been lifted 6"..... New wheels (12's) and new tires (23" tires). To say the least -- it's a "TURD" as far as moving...... It ran like crap when I got it (another LONG story) --- really bogs down going up a hill, and with the lift/tires it's certainly not any better......

I want to fix it up and getting it from a "show" cart -- to a "go" cart...... It's not driven far -- just around the neighborhood...... mainly on the street -- lawn --- or down this dirt path we have by the house. I'm not using the cart to play golf, just put around.... maybe if it had a little more power to help with the yard (pulling a small trailer when I mulch, etc)

So here is my plan ----

1) New batteries ---- I'm debating on goin from a 36v to a 48v system. If I do that -- am I better off going with Eight 6v batteries? or should I go with SIX 8v batteries? As far as the batteries themselves go -- I was thinking to go cheap-o and get the costco or Sams' club batteries --- but now I'm thinking of going with either US Battery or Crown brand batteries. A little more $$$ but cheaper then Trojans and same specs warranty. Or do you think I'd be okay just sticking with a 36v system?

2) New cables -- I have all new cables (not yet installed) --- have 2 guage wires for everything......

3) New Speed Controller & Selionid -- I"m trying to decide between Scotty'B's #202B, the #484 or the #485. I have the 23" tires...... So I want the power/torgue...... but also don't want to overdo it either...... Thoughts?

4) New heavy duty F/R switch.....

5) DC Reducer ---- (no radio -- but I do have lights on my cart)

6) New charger --- obviously I need a 48v charger if I up grade......

So your thoughts? I'm really torn between going to 48v system or sticking with 36v....... I'm tired of my cart being a DOG........ But at the the same time -- I don't have a money tree growing out back either......... Just want to do it "right" the first time.....

Thanks in advance...... I'll be buying the speed controller/seliniod soon....

SAKISLAYER
Sakislayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
rsw007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart build up.... Good plan?

I'm in the same boat but don't have the big tires. i just bought my cart a month ago with new 20" trail wolf mud tires on it

the conversion to 48 looks to be about another $500 for charger and two more batteries.
rsw007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Springlake
I Believe !!

E-Z-GO

The Pros will weigh in on this its a great thread.

I started my build with iffy batteries and hunting season was upon me. So I bought the SAM's replacement (2 months everyday riding,OK) 36s, finished the season, and then tore her down to the frame for my rebuild. No harm for me, I am light duty and have a rebuilt Controller and the rest is new, was new when I bought her, I should get awhile if I am careful, however

From what I have read our/ your 12/23's will burn that stock stuff up.

SO...
Go 48 and let Scotty b be your guide..!!

Too late for me. Good JOB posting when you did.
Now be prepared to take pictures and Welcome!!
Springlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

I just did a total upgrade to my TXT as well.....after talking to Scottyb, Opted for the #458, I to am lifted, and running 23's.....you said you want a "go cart" not a "slow cart"....just keep in mind, since its a series cart......even with the upgrades, it won't be any faster, UNLESS you upgrade to 48V. which will get you 30% more torque and speed. OR, you could buy a new high speed motor and stay with 36V. you can see all that I did to mine in my sig.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Sakislayer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I continue to read --- but I think I'm REALLY leaning on going to the 48v setup. I'll have to buy two less batteries so that will offset the cost of having to buy a charger --- plus I can always sell my 36v charger too.

The sucky part is I kinda have to do it "all at once"...... I gotta by the 8v batteries.... which means I need to buy the charger..... and I also need to buy the speed controller & selliniod.... so major outlay at once. Guess it's like a band-aid.... hurts more but your better off just ripping it off all at once.

So Crowns or US-Battery.... and which models? I did e-mail Scotty B for his thoughts..... too..

NUKE -- you're really going 27 mph? WOW......... Got any pics of your setup?
Sakislayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You've got a series wound motor, so the only way to get it to spin faster is increasing the applied voltage. (IE: Going to 42V or 48V)
You've made the cart go faster (theoretically) by changing the final drive ratio.
(Changing tire height changes final drive ratio the same as changing the gear ratio in the differential does)
Going from 18" (stock height) to 23" tires mathematically increased your cart's speed by about 22%, which you most likely didn't get because it also decreased the torque by 22% and the stock controller cannot pass the amps needed to get the motor up to full RPM for the voltage applied. In addition, the older batteries might not be able to supply the needed amps even if the controller could pass them.
The torque loss also made the cart slow on acceleration and hills.

Going to a higher amp controller will recover the lost torque, and should get you up to the theoretical speed based on tire height, but to go faster, you will have to increase the battery pack voltage.
Upping the pack voltage will also increase the torque. (Torque is actually based on Watts, which is Amps time Volts, and it take fewer amps at higher volts to get the same Watts. IE: It takes 400A at 36V to produce 14.4kW and only 300A at 48V to produce 14.4kW. This is why 48V carts run cooler than 36V carts.)

Eight 6V batteries (48V) will give you the greatest range and speed. But very difficult to fit under seat.
Seven 6V batteries (42V) won't have as much speed or range, but more of both than six 6V batteries (36V). Fits under seat.
Six 8V batteries (170AH) will give you the 48V speed and about the same range as a 225AH 36V battery pack. Fits under seat.

Here is a list of commonly used 8V golf cart batteries. The higher the Amp-Hours (AH) the greater the range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8 Volt Battery AH comparisons.JPG (79.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakislayer View Post
NUKE -- you're really going 27 mph? WOW......... Got any pics of your setup?
YEP.....but the only reason is because of the Hi Speed motor I have.....with the same set up as me, which Scotty set me up with, but with your STOCK motor, and 48V....yours will run in the neighborhood of about 18 mph.

here is my build thread.....all the pictures are there.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...art-build.html
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
rsw007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

not trying to hijack but can you run 7 8volts with 2 parallel? to add more run time.I'm planning a similar set up.
rsw007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

No you cannot run only one battery in parallel. You will severely imbalance the battery pack. Each battery needs to be same capacity and same condition for a pack to stay balanced.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

No. If I understand, you want five 8 volt batteries in series, followed by two in parallel, as the "sixth" battery in the series, for 48 volts. They won't charge properly, and the extra capacity of your "sixth" battery will be limited by the other five in the series.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO