lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
bigpoppi
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default let's talk chargers, shall we????

Been throwing the idea of upgrading to 48v sooner than planned, what was going to be done next spring, is coming to mind more often than not. I have a crap 36v QE charger and aside from being small and compact, I don't figure it to work for the next 5 years if I go buy new 6v batteries to replace the existing ones.... so, 8v batteries are 109 ea., and the local cart place carries the Schauer 48 Volt Automatic Multimode Electronic Battery Charger, does anyone have advice on this one verses the DPI charger the ScottyB carries...???
bigpoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: let's talk chargers, shall we????

I'm in the same boat as you. Ready to go 48v, just need batteries and charger,however my present batteries are just 4 years old and doing fine.

The Schauer and DPI look about the same to me spec wise and price is about the same. Both made in the USA. The Schauer is a 15amp charger while the DPI is 17 amp I believe. For me this gives the DPI an edge and scottyb's price is competitive enough that I would probably get it from him because of his rep for tech support.

I will be interested in other responses to this thread.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I don't know about the Schauer, but the DPI has four user selectable charge profiles for different brands of batteries.

The DPI also uses dV/dT (Change in on-charge voltage over time) to terminate the regular charge cycle, so it fully charges the batteries instead of shutting down at a predetermined voltage)

In addition, the DPI goes into float charge after the regular charger cycle finishes, so you always have a 100% SoC when you start your day, and long term storage isn't an issue.

If the Schauer also does all those things, it would probably be a toss-up.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
bigpoppi
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, even though I may be getting the batteries from Tipp City Golf Carts, ScottyB's charger sounds like the way to go.... I'll be waiting for a few more replies but JohnnieB, will say that your response was the one I was looking for. Kernal, thanx for your input, I always appreciate input, knowledge and experience is the key to growth.
bigpoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Another thing I like about the DPI is that it uses the best both old and new technology.

It uses a transformer to step down a AC line voltage rather than a switching power supply. That is old school part and it makes it weigh a lot, but it is difficult to kill a transformer and if you look at a switching power supply cross-eyed, the magic smoke leaks out.

The output section uses microprocessor controlled SCR's, which is the new school part and what makes the charge profiles user selectable.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
pete959
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

i have no faith in the Schauer charger what so ever the dpi chargers have been very good to me
pete959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:11 AM   #7
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You never asked about on-board chargers but I have found and used the Quick Charge transformer style chargers (heavy) with great success and are only about $30 more (OB4815 is $309) then the DPI charger from scotty. Just something to consider.
http://www.quickcharge.com/on-board-standard.html

This is the cheapest vendor I found selling the QC brand and they have great customer service.
http://batterychargerdepot.com/Quick...ardonboard.htm
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I agree with sportcoupe about the QC on-board chargers.

If I ever decided to install an on-board charger again, it will most likely be a Quick Charge.

Portable = DPI
On-Board = Quick Charge
Old 07-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
rickeysprocket
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I've Had A 48V DPI Charger I Bought From Carl @Ev Drives For A Short Time Due To A 48V Upgrade. I Chose This Option Due To The Built In Timer That Triggers A Full Chargr Cycle Every 28 Days Automatically For Winter Storage. Also This Has Specific Charge Profiles For Each Battery Manufacturer.
rickeysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #10
rickeysprocket
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

And The Dpi Has The Maintain Charge As Well. Very Advanced Features While Still Retaining The Old School Time Proven Transformer Type Charger.
rickeysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO