lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
TJL
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default 1984 stock DS, fixing it up.

Hello all. i recently picked up a 84 club car, 36 volt, looks to be mostly stock/original. i recently did a clone swap on a 88 DS so not totally new to CC but i am new to the sparky CC. i was going to wait to get into the electric but couldnt stand it, i had to work on it. the cart is pretty weak but it would run some. it didnt take off with any sort of hurry but it would get to 15mph.

its got the stock toaster parts, solenoids and coil resistors. its got micro switches for throttle. it did work partially when i got it. the batteries are old and tired, the first 2 speed solenoids are hitting but not doing anything. cart sits still until the 4th click/3rd speed solenoid powers. i already got 5 new solenoids. Yes they are the correct 36v clubcar solenoids. there is a orange wire that didnt have a home. it comes out of the microswitch throttle box and was not connected to anything.

the brakes are shot, new ones are on the way.

the forward/reverse switich looked pretty sketchy to me so i have another one on the way.

the charger is a old lester model i think. its kinda scary. not sure if the hour meter is a timer but it does not count down or turn off. also the wires are freyed and need fixed.

there was scary wiring all over it. im kinda surprised it worked at all. actually surprised it hadnt burst into flames.

ive got plenty of questions but i cant remember them right now. heres some pics.

TJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
TJL
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1984 stock DS, fixing it up.

as for the batteries, it took 2.5 gallons of distilled water to get water over the coils. i load tested each battery and they all passed. hoping i can revive them.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Looks like a fun project!
Wow that is a lot of water.
You may be able to get some use out of them...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
TJL
Gone Wild
Club Car

The goal for this cart is to be reliable and safe for as little $ as possible. its probably going to be used by my grandparents. im going to offer it to them in hopes it will get them out of the house.

it will be staying with the toaster parts.
i will be replacing all the wiring i can. will be using 4 gauge everywhere i can.

does anyone know off hand what the orange wire from the switchbox should be going too?

Also, what kind of torque can i expect from a basically stock setup? this cart had NO torque to get up any sort of incline without a running start. the battery's were down on amps, the wiring was corroded/damaged, connections corroded, im hoping it will have a nice torque increase when its back together.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
TJL
Gone Wild
Club Car

took the front off.

all bushings were toast as expected. got new ones on the way.

Glad i bought a new f/r switch. after getting the new one i see the stop broke off the old one and someone "fixed it" by sticking a screw in it.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Could the orange wire be for the reverse buzzer? just a thought
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

great project by the way. I just did an 85 DS rebuild with new wiring,etc! You will have fun. Just a thought, if you plan on cleaning the frame. I went with eagle one etching cleaner becuase of lots of recommendations on the forum here. spray it on let it sit and scrub lightly and the frame will look like brand new.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
TJL
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks. I'm going to clean the frame up some. It might be the reverse buzzer. The buzzer itself was broke long ago. It was still on the cart but had not worked in a long time.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Great project. I have an 85 that looks just like yours. One of these days......
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
TJL
Gone Wild
Club Car

Here's what I started with. Fiberglass body looks ok but it's pretty beat up/cracked. Want to find a good plastic body.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car