lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #1
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Hooked up new components and got 4th of July

I may have screwed up royally. When I got everything (new controller, reversing contactor, wires) hooked up and hit the gas I got huge pops and sparks. Seemed to come from motor contacts. I was a little uncertain about motor contacts because I had two different diagrams and my reversing contactor was set up differently from the diagram and my old one. I think what I really need to know is what does each of the contacts on the motor do. What controls F/R? What supplies power? I'm going to be sick if I fried my new components.
sowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Hooked up new components and got 4th of July

Update.... I see evidence of electrical problems on the solenoid. Looks like I may have reversed input and output on solenoid. Could that cause all the fireworks? Is solenoid fried?
Old 05-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Is the solenoid diode blown up? It could have been hooked up backwards. Besides that, both the small terminals and large terminals don't care which way they're hooked up. I'm not sure what you mean by input and output. I assume you're talking about the solenoid, and not the reversing contactor?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for responding. I looking at one diagram that has positive coming in from left side and another from right side. So yes I could have resister reversed. Could that be it?
Old 05-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Probably should have said diode. Which one is big, which one is small? Neither seem to be blown up but black marks all around small terminal where small connects.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Diode is polarized, and connects to the small terminals. The resistor is the big one on the big terminals, and it doesn't care which way it's connected (non-polarized).

To test diode, you can simply remove it. If there are no more sparks and it works, cheap fix. Just replace it.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Also, double check the small wiring.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

When you remove the diode, if it blew up, it's generally visibly cracked or maybe even burned in half. If you have a DMM, set it on ohms and check both directions. You should read almost no resistance in one direction and a LOT in the opposite direction.

Safer test than the first test I recommended, which could result in sparks if the wiring is wrong.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #9
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Turtle,

Thanks so much for your help! Got it going. Had the diode backwards. Can't believe it could have caused that kind of fireworks and didn't fry anything. My nerves are shattered. I guess I know just enough about electrical stuff to be dangerous. All you guys on this forum are awesome. Going to need a drink now!
Old 05-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I'd replace the diode. It's shot. Probably blown in half internally. For short runs it won't hurt to run without, but it will make your solenoid contacts last longer.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO