lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2014, 08:05 AM   #11
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Resister, diode, and yellow flat cap Identification Help Plz.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Movs usually sacrifice themselves when spikes happen. IMO they don't offer much protection.
Concur, depending on the application. Every time they get hit, they weaken. When they fail, it's generally closed, so a fused circuit's fuse would open, letting you know something's wrong. A poorly sized (rated) MOV is just a nuisance.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #12
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The only information I could find on MOV's for golf cart applications is they are rated at 75 volts. If one fails it is trying to tell you your controller may be next. A little spike is all it takes to ruin a controller. It would be hard to prove if a MOV helps protect a controller against spikes or not but I bet it was put on there for that reason. I would replace it ASAP if the cart had one that failed. The whole electrical system in a golf cart is a nuisance not just the MOV.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I guess what I was saying is an MOV in a properly designed "system" would have caused a fuse to blow. In this case, it just blew one of its leads but kept running, leading the driver to think everything was kewl.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #14
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I guess what I was saying is an MOV in a properly designed "system" would have caused a fuse to blow. In this case, it just blew one of its leads but kept running, leading the driver to think everything was kewl.
Perhaps it was included by EZGO to take care of small harmful spikes in new carts hoping it would reduce warranty expense replacing controllers. If a bigger MOV was used with bigger leads it may create a fire. If you had a cart with one that had a burned lead and it was rated at 75 volts and you tested the lead stub and it was shorted what would you suspect? From what I can tell it is connected across B+ and B- on the controller terminals. I cannot think of a reason to have a MOV across the battery terminals at the controller other than to help protect the controller from voltage spikes.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:27 AM   #15
Randy018
Not Yet Wild

Question Re: Resister, diode, and yellow flat cap Identification Help Plz.?

Controller was the culprit. Replaced it and she's a running. Still looking into the MOV. replacement. THanks to all that gave comments. I like this little cart,, its peppy. Wonder if I have skills enough to paint now.
Randy018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO