lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #21
mkral
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need an opinion

thanks a lot guys!! I appreciate all the advice.
JohnnyB - the resistor did not get hot. The only thing that got hot was the motor. But we were working it pretty hard. The cables were nice and cool and the controller and solenoid were all just slightly warm. I will go find the diode. It is in the grass somewhere :)
mkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2014, 08:19 PM   #22
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When I put 21psi max tires on after, 10 psi 2ply, I tried running 12 psi and the ride was ok , but hurt speed. 21psi was the ticket, much less rolling resistance and better handling.
beach cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:52 AM   #23
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkral View Post
thanks a lot guys!! I appreciate all the advice.
JohnnyB - the resistor did not get hot. The only thing that got hot was the motor. But we were working it pretty hard. The cables were nice and cool and the controller and solenoid were all just slightly warm. I will go find the diode. It is in the grass somewhere :)
Sounds like your motor, controller, solenoid and cables are running in a normal temperature range.

Motor heat is a byproduct of generating torque, so it is normal for the motor to get hot.
When driven hard (IE: rapid acceleration, climbing steep hills, etc.) they can get too hot to touch.
The goal is keeping the motor case temperature under 115°C (239°F).

The controller can get mighty warm also, but not as hot as the motor.
The DCX family of controllers go into over-temperature shutoff at 95°C (203°F).
Except with the most extreme usage, they don't get too hot to hold onto.

The solenoid gets warm too, but it is mostly due to the current flowing through the coil rather than the current flow through the contacts.

The high current cables will warm up ever so slightly since they do have a very small amount of resistance, but they should all be at about the same temperature and if any cable or connection gets more than about 10°F above the ambient air temperature, it is a problem that needs to be addressed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #24
mkral
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks a lot guys!! I am a new to all of this and this site has been a huge help for me I am mechanically inclined but don't have the knowledge to jump in it alone.
You guys rock!!
Old 10-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #25
mkral
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Beach - I will run my PSI up today as well. Thanks again!!
Old 10-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #26
stang99x
Gone Wild

MKRAL- I have a 98 txt with an Alltrax 4844 that does the same thing in reverse. It is on an AMD 7216 speed motor.

I also have on 04 txt with an Alltrax 4865 and a ES-52 type torque motor that will snap your neck in reverse.

Both carts will burn the tires in reverse on grass, neither burns them in forward. Also, I removed the resistors and diodes from them when I installed the large gauge wires. My only difference is I have 2GA throughout.
stang99x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:38 AM   #27
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang99x View Post
MKRAL- I have a 98 txt with an Alltrax 4844 that does the same thing in reverse. It is on an AMD 7216 speed motor.

I also have on 04 txt with an Alltrax 4865 and a ES-52 type torque motor that will snap your neck in reverse.

Both carts will burn the tires in reverse on grass, neither burns them in forward. Also, I removed the resistors and diodes from them when I installed the large gauge wires. My only difference is I have 2GA throughout.
You have a series cart, so you having both the resistor and the diode installed is a good idea.
Cart will run fine without them, but the solenoid contacts will last longer with the resistor installed and the pedal microswitch contacts will last longer with the diode installed.

--------
I have shorter than stock tires, so I had to back off on the Throttle up rate so I could take off on grass without spinning the tires.

I've got 1/2 speed reverse selected, so tire spin in reverse wasn't an issue and I don't know if my motor is stronger turning CW or CCW.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO