lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2014, 06:35 AM   #1
Turbo_Pumpkin
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Not sure where to start...

I am helping a friend diagnose an intermittent problem with his Series TXT.

Symptoms: The cart randomly will not go. It usually happens when starting from a stop (I assume because this is the most demanding), but if you play with the pedal, it will eventually go. It seems like you have more luck getting it to go when you slowly push the pedal down. You can hear the solenoid clicking even when it is not going forward. Once it is moving, it rarely dies but if you let off, coast, and then start off again it will sometimes take some messing with the pedal to get it going again.

I have a PDS so I am completely unfamiliar with troubleshooting this and was not sure where to start. I saw the instruction for testing a controller on here http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...agnostics.html

I also saw the troubleshooting guide from EZGO on one of the threads but the issue is intermittent so I was not sure where I should start. With my luck, I'll trouble shoot everything with it in the air (and without load) and it will all work as expected. Because the solenoid is clicking, it seems like the pedal is working, and the low power stuff is working so I am inclined to look at the large connections and controller but wanted some advice from you guys.

I appreciate any advice to get me started!
Turbo_Pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2014, 06:39 AM   #2
Turbo_Pumpkin
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Not sure where to start...

This is the troubleshooting guide I was thinking about using...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...leshooting.pdf

I just wasn't sure if the problem would replicate itself on jack stands with no load. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Could just be a bad solenoid. Rule out a bad connection on any high amp cable first. Disconnect the high amperage cables on the solenoid and use your meter to check for continuity between the large posts each and EVERYtime the solenoid clicks.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
Turbo_Pumpkin
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Could just be a bad solenoid. Rule out a bad connection on any high amp cable first. Disconnect the high amperage cables on the solenoid and use your meter to check for continuity between the large posts each and EVERYtime the solenoid clicks.
Thanks Scotty! I'll start there after work today.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:11 AM   #5
Turbo_Pumpkin
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
So I had a few minutes to take a look at the cart last night. I disconnected a cable from the battery pack and then disconnected the two main power cables from the Solenoid. We tested the solenoid repeatedly and it seemed to pass through every time it clicked. We put everything back together and in doing so, I noticed that the cable end that connected to the pack had been replaced and looked a little suspect. It looks like one of those jobs where someone took a large (2/0 gauge) cable end and smashed it in a vice on the stock cable. The cable seems loose in the end so we are going to get the proper end and replace that tonight.

Oddly enough, after reassembling everything, we can no longer recreate the issue. I have a feeling that the one cable end is the main issue, but that the cables should be replaced so we are gonna start with that. It definitely goes to show the importance of good cables that are maintained properly!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO