lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2022, 06:29 PM   #1
TXST8tj
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 36v to 48v conversion - f/r switch?

I am converting my 36v series Medalist to 48v while also upgrading to an Alltrax controller and new motor.
I have a new 400amp solenoid and have also already purchased the Scotty’s HD f/r switch.

The cart had scraps of wire that were part of the original harness. I plan to install a new 48v TXT harness. Will there be any issue using that with the HD f/r switch? I don’t have any issue with the older lever style f/r switch which is why I didn’t choose the contactor upgrade.
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2022, 11:29 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 36v to 48v conversion - f/r switch?

If it’s a heavy duty switch and is in good shape, it shouldn’t be a problem at all.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 06:39 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Just know that the F\R "rotary switch" is the weakest link on the EZ-GO system. If you have the $$$, I'd suggest upgrading to reversing contactors. I did that years ago and haven't smelled an electrical burn since.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:39 AM   #4
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

True. But he mentioned he had upgraded to a heavy duty version from Scotty so it should be a step better.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:46 AM   #5
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

When I upgraded to the HD to the F/R lever style switch I found it to be significantly harder to turn and the wife didn’t like it so I swapped it for the reversing contactor.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:40 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

48v uses less amperage than 36v. So the HD rotary EZ575 F&R switch is fine for 48v.
The TXT48 wiring harness will not work for this cart as that is a different type of drive system.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 11:10 AM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
48v uses less amperage than 36v. So the HD rotary EZ575 F&R switch is fine for 48v.
The TXT48 wiring harness will not work for this cart as that is a different type of drive system.
TXST8tj...as scotty stated, the 48TXT wiring harness won't work....what you need is a standard 36v wiring harness....its works fine. its wnat I did nearly 9 years ago, on scotty's suggestion, when I totally rebuilt my first cart AND did the 36v to 48v conversion. on top of that, I too used one of scotty's HD F&R Switches....and its never missed a beat in all those years.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 12:02 AM   #8
TXST8tj
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you for the clarification on the harness and affirmation on the f/r rotary switch!
I felt like something would not jive with the 48v harness, I just thought I read someone say that it was needed when going 48v. Since I don’t have a harness, i will just find a new OEM 36v series harness.
Old 11-29-2022, 11:40 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXST8tj View Post
Thank you for the clarification on the harness and affirmation on the f/r rotary switch!
I felt like something would not jive with the 48v harness, I just thought I read someone say that it was needed when going 48v. Since I don’t have a harness, i will just find a new OEM 36v series harness.
There are only a few wires in this cart's control system. Not sure I would buy the harness if installing a new Alltrax the controller plug will cut off anyway... you are left with 2 wires to the key, 4 wires to the pedal, maybe 2 or 3 to the F&R switch.
Do you have the 4 wire lead coming out of the pedal box?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 01:02 AM   #10
TXST8tj
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes sir, I do have the little harness on the throttle pedal.
Not opposed to running my own wires, but a new harness looks to be about $30….the 48v harness I previously thought I needed was over $200, so I have no problem paying the $30 for the simplicity.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO