lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #21
kungfului916
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 97 TXT 295cc - Tried EVERYTHING - still backfiring and no power!!!

Out of curiosity have you tried running it without the air filter on it? If not open the box and see if there is fuel spitting back into the housing...before I go further...I'd like to see if you have done that...
kungfului916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #22
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Sounds like igniter to me
RSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #23
stonekn
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Kungfului916, Yes, I have run it with & without the air filter. There was fuel spitting back into the housing. That's what confuses me, because all timing marks are lined up correctly and the valves are properly set, so there's no good reason for the fuel to be spitting out of the carb.

RSP, The igniter, coil & pulsar coil are all brand new. (Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they're not faulty)
stonekn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #24
tradermark
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

stonekn,

I had the same problem with my 93 804.
At times it would spark once and then nothing...

I wish I could tell you a definite cause for that, but I did so many things trying to find out what was actually causing it, that I'm not sure what I did to correct it. I "think" I corrected it by replacing the 4 pin plug from the igniter. The pins inside the plug were pretty loose, so I got an igniter wiring harness from another cart, cleaned the pins with electrical contact cleaner and put some of the grease that goes in spark plug boots down in both halves of the plug.

I think the problem actually boiled down to a loss of contact issue. Sort of like when you hook up a battery cable and it sparks once and then you can't start the engine. I think I was getting that one spark through the old 4 pin plug and then it would lose contact until I wiggled or jiggled the wires or it made contact again on its own, only to spark just once the next time before losing contact again.

Worth a look any way.

Mark
tradermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #25
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Do a compression check tell us what it is, try this, take a jumper wire connect to the hot post on battery, connect the other end to the small hot post on the starter solinoid, its the one that has a couple small red and orange wires there. Maybe your micro switch on the gas pedal is bad , this test should tell us something, make sure all those little wires on that solinoid are getting a good connection let us know......... I`ll be waiting for your responce
Old 10-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #26
stonekn
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Trademark, I'll definitely give that a look. This thing has been abused over the years, so I wouldn't be surprised if I missed that loose connector.

RSP, the compression is at 108lbs in cyl#1 & 120 in Cyl#2. All the connections are good at the solonoid. The micro switch makes perfect sense since it will start & run well if I put the choke on in neutral & just barely feather the throttle. If I push the throttle down or put it under a load, it will flood out, backfire & spit out the air cleaner. Maybe if the micro switch is bad, the spark isn't keeping up with the engine's needs??? (That & the fact that the micro switch is about the only thing I haven't replaced yet....LOL)

I have a prettty crappy work schedule this week along with a new baby, so it'll probably be Friday before I'll get a chance to perform any of these tests. In the meantime, thanks for all of your advise & I'll let you know how it turns out. Cross your fingers!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #27
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonekn View Post
Trademark, I'll definitely give that a look. This thing has been abused over the years, so I wouldn't be surprised if I missed that loose connector.

RSP, the compression is at 108lbs in cyl#1 & 120 in Cyl#2. All the connections are good at the solonoid. The micro switch makes perfect sense since it will start & run well if I put the choke on in neutral & just barely feather the throttle. If I push the throttle down or put it under a load, it will flood out, backfire & spit out the air cleaner. Maybe if the micro switch is bad, the spark isn't keeping up with the engine's needs??? (That & the fact that the micro switch is about the only thing I haven't replaced yet....LOL)

I have a prettty crappy work schedule this week along with a new baby, so it'll probably be Friday before I'll get a chance to perform any of these tests. In the meantime, thanks for all of your advise & I'll let you know how it turns out. Cross your fingers!
Ok wait, im comfused, I need to reread this whole thread.........
Old 10-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #28
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

are you telling me that it runs if you barley step on the throttle with the choke on ?

will it run if you barley step on the throttle without choke?

does it quit firring the spark plugs if you push the gas pedal to far down?

spitting out the carb can be caused by a lean fuel mixture, starving for fuel.

Get a can of starter fluid, spray small short burst of starter fluid in the carb while cranking the engine, see if you can make that engine rev up by spraying short small bursts of starter fluid in the carb, be very careful dont start any fires, should push it outside to test, fill me in on my questions when you get a chance to look at it
Old 10-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #29
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Re-check your timing if gas is being spit out of the carb. Its possible your alignment is totally reversed. Also consider using a new igniter. Looks like it is also a problem. Compression is too low. At least it should be 120 for both.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #30
stonekn
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So, after taking a hiatus from this thing for a few months, I finally decided to take another stab at this issue. I found a brand new coil in my spare parts & decided to install it. Much to my surprise, it fired right up & revved just like it was supposed to.....For about 20 seconds, then it died & wouldn't fire back up. It alomst seems like it's burning out the coil within seconds. What in the world would cause this issue?

Since I'm now positive I have it narrowed down to an ignition issue, I'm thinking of doing the 4-stroke HEI conversion. I read the entire 9 pages of the 4-stroke HEI conversion post, and found several people asking for the part# list of coils & HEI models as well as a proper wiring diagram, but can't seem to find one list of everything all together???

Tags
backfire, bog down, ez-go, loss of power
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO