lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2015, 09:45 AM   #1
bcatjoe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default !1999 Ezgo TXT engine swap

Hey, i have a 1999 EXGO and and i swapingthe engine for a 2003 and the linkage looks to be different on the newer engine, has anyone else done this and, what was your solution?
bcatjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2015, 07:20 PM   #2
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: !1999 Ezgo TXT engine swap

Can you put up some pics?
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:28 PM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

2003 is an "MCI" engine, your original 1999 was pre-MCI (although they do have the same mounts and displacement and appearance-wise are similar motors). The linkage, coils, ignition system, heads, exhaust manifold, and a few other things are not cross-compatible so You'll definitely have your tasks cut out to swap an MCI into a pre-MCI cart.

Personally, I'd give one of the site sponsors a ring and let them know what You have going on - they can let You know what You're going to need to replace (besides the obvious, which is the motor) and can steer You in the right direction as to parts, etc.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:04 PM   #4
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

I thought that may have been it but couldn't remember the MCI change over time frame. Thx Brew
Old 04-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #5
bcatjoe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well i got the new engine in place last night anf the only thing different that i can see so far is the the throttle linkage. Everything else looks to be the exact same on the newer engine. Coil and ignition is the same as the old engine as well so, i dont think that will be an issue. I will keep you updateed as i get into hooking everything up>
Old 04-17-2015, 09:11 AM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

look at the two exhaust manifolds - if they are the same then your new engine is not a 2003, it's mid-2002 or older. If they are different, You do in fact have an early MCI engine you are swapping into the cart and will need to address the differences or You'll have issues. The MCI manifold is a cast single-outlet and the pre-MCI has a "Y-pipe" collector (also cast) if that helps ...

As to the linkage, the carbs are compatible cross-platform so feel free to swap them out
Old 04-17-2015, 09:41 AM   #7
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

That's why I was hoping he could take some pics
Old 04-17-2015, 09:55 AM   #8
bcatjoe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Brew, I will have to look later when i get home but, i am all but sure the exhaust is the exact same on both engines. I know the mufflers are the same. As far as the year, i took the engine out of a 2003 so, i just assumed it was the orginal.

Sccowby, i have some pictures but they dont really show anything other than the different hook ups. I will try and take some when i get a chance.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:59 AM   #9
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

ok cool
Old 04-17-2015, 12:13 PM   #10
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

well that's a good thing if they're the same - they did switch the linkage between the governor and carb but I don't recall exactly when (I want to say with the 2001.5 year as that's when they switched the shift cabling system, etc too but that's not important) ... You should be fine to swap the old linkage out from the donor cart from the governor to the carb, if that's not an option (IE You only have the engine) then personally I'd modify the cable from the pedal to go directly to the carb but if You do, You'll have to drive carefully at top end to keep from flirting with / bouncing off the rev limiter.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO