lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #11
plk1222
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G2 upgrades

Ok i think ive got it natrowed down to a 4" lift, larger tires and maybe a different secondary spring. Thought of changing the exhaust also but not for sure yet
plk1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2015, 04:16 PM   #12
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

22 tires are the best selection, and its better to get a quad rated tire they will be 3 ply or more. They don't get punctures like the cheapest ones that are 2 ply....if you go offroad.

Most people with lifts run a spring of some kind, and a new belt if needed because a worn belt will make them bog.

So fix the brakes mine will lock 22s no problem but never tried it on pavement....but I rarely run pavement.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #13
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I run 24's and DO run pavement.I put a new cable on the passengers side and WD 40d all pivot point as well as adjusting the shoes themselves.The brakes work great and can easily lock up on pavement.I have a set of disc brakes I have not bothered to install since the stock system with everything working right does well even with a 40 mph clone on pavement.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:10 PM   #14
jeff70
Gone Wild
Yamaha

My G2 is lifted 6" with 22" tires, I could hit 30 on the flat, I tried the white power spring and was not impressed, I went with the UMAX spring and a heavy duty 1 1/4" belt. It ran good for a stock motor, It would climb any hill I pointed it at but sometimes I could walk faster than it was going. There is only so much you can do with a stock power plant.
I also cut open the muffler and took some baffles out and installed a larger tailpipe.
jeff70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #15
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

When I was running my G14 engine had the plowmans exhaust , jetted up carb and K&N cone filter. All of this made a noticeable difference, but as the others say you can only get so much out of a stocker.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:44 PM   #16
plk1222
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Thanks guys the brakes lock up now just seems to take a long time to stop. How much did cutting the muffler help?
Old 09-23-2015, 06:42 PM   #17
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I took part of the airbox out and jetted the carb richer, it may have helped a little on hills but it started much better I never used the choke in summer. I ran the HD cogged kevlar 1 1/4 belt, a cut sheave, and umax it was pretty nice setup on a stock motor. I tried another muffler it didn't seem to make much difference so I put the stock one back on. I ran synthetic oil all the time. Finally the oil ring started to go and it smoked a little, I put a clone in and wow twice the power is just intoxicating. Even the stock clone I did first gets up to speed way quicker, it will wheelie off the top of steep little hills the stock engine barely moved up. Mine is even faster with some bolt ons and has hit 38 gps, though I don't go over 30 or so that much. The stock clone does 30 on dirt it did 27 before with the governor all the way in mine did 28 and 30 on pavement with no governor on stock engine but for jetting and airbox mods. The stock clone has jetted carb and muffler and airbox off a car that is it. Should put springs in it for more top end.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #18
jeff70
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by plk1222 View Post
Thanks guys the brakes lock up now just seems to take a long time to stop. How much did cutting the muffler help?
I would say it help a little, no noticeable power increase but it seamed to rev better and was smoother throughout the throttle range
jeff70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:38 AM   #19
plk1222
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Ok i wont worry about the exhaust then. Sho do you happen to know what size of jet you went up to?
Old 09-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #20
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Call Don Plowman, he's the king of Yamaha mods. He can tell you what you need for your cart to achieve what you are looking for. He's been there done that.

But I will agree with the others here. On a stock engine, you want to make sure the basics are in order (tune up, valves adjusted, etc). Then, get a good secondary clutch setup, this will help with the low end issues and you should be able to tow and climb hills. New belt also.

For more power:

1. open air intake up, k&n filter
2. jet carb
3. open up exhaust
4. mill head for more compression
5. port and polish intake and exhaust runners on the head

These are basic "hot rodding 101" type mods. Combine those with the clutch and belt kit and you'll be good to go.

If that's not enough.....clone it.....or better yet.....vtwin it!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha