lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2017, 05:25 AM   #1
Threest20
Not Yet Wild

Default Alltrax XCT-48400 question

Hello all, new to the site. Just got a 2011 Yamaha electric cart for the campground, all stock. I was reading all the threads I could find about the alltrax upgrade and couldn't find the answer I was looking for, probably was there but I may have not realized it. Questions are follows. Do I need to do anything else to the cart if a add an alltrax, besides upgrade the battery cables? And speaking of cables, what gauge to go with? The batteries are 5 months old as well. I just want some more speed without going overboard. I want to do it the right way so please don't hesitate about how to go about the right way of doing this. I realize you need torque to keep the speed up hills and stuff like that and from everything I read, the alltrax adds both speed and torque from what I understand. Thank you all and apologies for my ignorance!
Threest20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2017, 07:48 AM   #2
Noneck
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax XCT-48400 question

I have the alltrax 48500 in my ezgo that I bought and modified last year. (6in lift and 22in tires) I can easily carry 4 adults up a steep hill at my campground. I just raced a gas powered lifted cart at the campground and smoked him. I just purchased a 2010 Yamaha g29 and am lifting it 6 inches. I am leaning towards the Madjax/ Navitas 600 amp controller. I like the plug and play aspect. I am planning on a 2ga cable upgrade and HD solenoid. Some here say the motor won't last some say it will. I'll take the chance knowing it's a possibility that I'll smoke the motor. Supposedly the Navitas should protect both the motor and itself from burning up.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
Noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:17 AM   #3
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have not read anywhere on this forum that a Hitachi motor would last using an aftermarket high amp controller on a lifted G29 and large tires. However, I have installed two Alltrax XCT48400 on the G29 with 2" lift and 21.5" tires and the stock Hitachi motor remained and have had no issues. BUT, both of them are under lithium power so there is a loss of 330 lbs of battery weight. I suspect that is why I have had no Hitachi motor issues (yet! knock on wood) where everyone else has.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:39 AM   #4
Noneck
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

According to the Navitas literature, it will ramp down power if the motor is overheating.
"With Navitas Controllers, in many cases, it is not necessary to upgrade the motor.
Simply increasing the power output of the motor is not harmful. Overheating is normally what damages electric motors. Our Controller monitors the energy going into the motor and when it deems that the motor is getting too hot it notifies the operator by flashing a diagnostic, cutting the power, and reducing the speed of the vehicle. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
I have not read anywhere on this forum that a Hitachi motor would last using an aftermarket high amp controller on a lifted G29 and large tires. However, I have installed two Alltrax XCT48400 on the G29 with 2" lift and 21.5" tires and the stock Hitachi motor remained and have had no issues. BUT, both of them are under lithium power so there is a loss of 330 lbs of battery weight. I suspect that is why I have had no Hitachi motor issues (yet! knock on wood) where everyone else has.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:13 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The Navitas controller is not real popular. The stock motors are burning up on 500a so why go 600 amps? The Hitachi motor is a lightweight tin can motor that can handle 400 amps. Lots of people happy with the Alltrax XCT48400 YDRE and the HD SW180 solenoid.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:49 AM   #6
Noneck
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Because 600 is bigger! Go big or go home! I never claimed to be smart, but I am planning for the worst and hoping for the best. I look at the Hitachi as a consumable and plan on it burning up and replacing it. If it doesn't, then great. I wouldn't think this approach is for everyone, I just like to experiment. My current alltrax has been fine, despite wasting 3 days trying to troubleshoot a brand new controller they sent me that was bad. They weren't particularly accommodating and I figured I'd try another route this time.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:04 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Hopefully nobody dies when it goes.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:09 AM   #8
Noneck
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm all for trying different stuff but not if it's going to be dangerous! Good Lord! I didn't realize it could be that dangerous. How so?

Old 05-31-2017, 02:05 PM   #9
Threest20
Not Yet Wild

Ok, thank you to everyone that has replied! I gather that along with the alltrax, I'll need the hd solonoid Scottyb mentioned. As for gauge of the wires, will the 2awg wire set that Noneck said be ok? Is it possible to have too big a wire set? Thank you all again! Pinkeye3, I like that combo you have of 2" lift and 21.5 tires, I may be copying that in the future!
Threest20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:22 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threest20 View Post
Ok, thank you to everyone that has replied! I gather that along with the alltrax, I'll need the hd solonoid Scottyb mentioned. As for gauge of the wires, will the 2awg wire set that Noneck said be ok? Is it possible to have too big a wire set? Thank you all again! Pinkeye3, I like that combo you have of 2" lift and 21.5 tires, I may be copying that in the future!
Alltrax recommends a 200a solenoid with the 400a controller so we add the solenoid for dealer cost when you buy them together.
And no - when it comes to cable bigger is better to a point where like you have 3 cars on a 4 lane road and you want to add 2 more lanes to reduce the back up ?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha