lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2018, 11:16 PM   #1
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default 1999 workhorse wiring

Not sure how this thing was wired for the gas gauge.

1999 Workhorse 1200 that never had factory lights. Serial number is 1171345

Sending unit tested good with meter. I just need to know how to wire it where it works.
Got oil light working.
These wires were all cut and I had to start from scratch under seat.
Everything else is working and cart now runs. It would not fire but found the problem after someone before me missed it and started cutting wires. Replaced all wires under seat. They did a job on this one but almost back like new.
Simple fix where pulser coil makes connection.

New electrical parts were installed and were not needed. I am betting someone spent $250 on coil, pulser coil and ignitor with new voltage regulator and solenoid. I have tested all the old ones and they are good. Now got spares. :)

One little bad connection was all that was wrong with it so I bought the workhorse cheap after person give up on getting it back going.

It would also me nice if I knew what choke cable to order. So far no EzGO dealer has called me back to tell which one I need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0902181950b_HDR.jpg (166.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 0903181653_HDR.jpg (149.2 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2018, 11:36 PM   #2
MILLERTIME
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1999 workhorse wiring

Nice find.
MILLERTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:13 AM   #3
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

ST350 accessorywiring.JPG

Hope this helps.

It is for the ST350 model but the wiring was identical as far as i know for your model.

Also, if memory serves me well, i think the choke cable you need is part no, 72401-G01. It fits the ST350, Workhorse 1200 and 800 plus a few other models.

Funny how after ten years out of the business, some number just stick around in your head LOL. I will of course double check before you order one, as it is longer due to the engine being located further back in the frame.

EDIT.
Just looked in my old parts manuals for the 1200 w/horse and the number i have quoted appears to be correct at the time of print, but the number may have been superceded. Any supplier should be able to cross reference the numbers regardless.

Looking online though, this number is listed as 60 1/4 inch long. so maybe a bit more research is needed. Mind you, too long is definitely better than too short.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:21 AM   #4
mersh75
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Trig, I don't know if this manual works for you but it lists 3 different choke cables.

https://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/i...o%20pdf/32.pdf
mersh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:33 PM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the help.
I should have made myself clearer on the post. I said sending unit but never said what.

The gas tank gauge and sending unit is what I needed info on.

I connected a new universal tank sending unit today I had and it either reads empty or full when I move the float. I assume the gas gauge is detective.

I have another cart in the shop that is similar so I can remove the gauge from it and see if it works. I was just thinking maybe the wiring was wrong.

There are three wires in conduit that goes toward the tank. Black is ground, red goes to terminal in middle of tank and white goes to oil pressure sending unit.

Nothing was removed from the dash area so from what I see all the wires are good on gauge and ignition switch .

I also went to where I used to work. I knew they had a workhorse the same model as mine. From what I could tell it is going to take a choke cable that is at least 33 inches long. I did find one 33 1/2 so I will go with that one.

Again thanks for the help. Anymore tips are appreciated. Tom
Old 09-07-2018, 10:57 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Almost completed the cart today. Need seat and not sure where to look. Did these seats come as two parts or one like this one was done ?

This one is comfortable but looks bad. Lots of hard work to get this back in true form. No engine smoking and 170 pounds of compression on both cylinders. Sound engine. Valve train looks new. Great power. It starts great with no stumble :)
Thanks again for the help. It will be for sale soon. Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0906181637a_HDR.jpg (259.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-08-2018, 06:52 AM   #7
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That's the way most workhorse seats came from the factory (some had seat back mounted to the dump bed front).If your plywood & foam are still good you can either buy a staple on cover or some good marine type vinyl and cover them fairly easy yourself.Also Amazon sells complete seats for a little less than $200.
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:54 PM   #8
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

The 33 15/16 inch choke cable worked like a dream. Cart now has new home. Thanks to all who helped. Tom
Old 01-09-2019, 04:54 PM   #9
mmiller48867
Not Yet Wild

I just picked up a 98 workhorse and boy is it a mess....

I have an MCI engine (i believe) and i'm trying to figure out how the wiring goes.

I need to know what each wire is coming out of the ignitor, and where it's supposed to go.

If anyone could show me stock photos of their ignitor / pickup / coil

The colors of these wires don't match the colors on the diagrams so it's very difficult to match it up

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4315.jpg (162.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4311.jpg (198.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4329.jpg (15.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4328.jpg (15.1 KB, 0 views)
mmiller48867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #10
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

The 98 model didn't come from the factory with the MCI.

MCI engines were installed starting about 2003.

I bought several new in box MCI engines and installed in older carts like yours. They would come with a short wiring harness where you could use the updated ignitor and plug it in to the 1998 harness without cutting wires.

If your cart is a 1998 then yours has been updated to the MCI if the ignitor you showed in picture is the one on the cart. MCI engines have the exhaust manifold made on head.

The colors of wires at ignitor probably didn't match but they worked fine.

I am assuming your won't fire? Your wires are probably fine. When engine was changed the ignition coil, ignitor, harness and muffler were updated.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO