lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2019, 11:05 AM   #1
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

Default 89 2 cycle EZ GO Marathon Trouble starting

Hey guys,

I have a 1989 2 cycle EZ GO Marathon that I’ve been having some issues with since I picked it up.

When I bought it, it was having a no-start/charge and starting up at first only in Reverse. Then, I could go on and drive in Forward. It did seem to get very sluggish on hills in forward, unless I pulled the choke out ever so slightly, like 1/8th inch and then it would run like a bat out of hell.

Now, after sitting for a couple weeks. The darn thing doesn’t want to fire up at all. It is turning over fine, but I did notice fuel is NOT coming through my filter like it should be.

Here is a list of the things I have replaced or tested.

NEW: starter generator, fuel pump, fuel filter, carburetor, voltage regulator, solenoid, battery.

I’ve since removed the old oil pump and just pre-mix the gas myself since the previous owner already had a rebuild.

I also built a new and properly fitting air filter hose out of a vacuum hose as I thought the old one may have been restricting air flow.

Checked for spark against the engine and I am getting a strong blue spark.

I have also BBQ my muffler to make sure it wasn’t plugged.

I’ve heard from numerous people that crankshaft seals would cause air leakage and not allow the fuel to properly go through the pump. So, I put the cart on jack stands and did the spray test and it didn’t rev up at all like my seals were bad? I also inspected the rear clutch seal with a flash light and it appears to look pretty good.

I am completely clueless now. Could it be that the flywheel crank seal is just hard to reach with spray and not accurately telling me it’s bad?

PLEASE HELP...we were supposed to take it to the lake this weekend! [emoji31]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jcrouch023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2019, 05:53 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 89 2 cycle EZ GO Marathon Trouble starting

No fuel pumping? Sounds like bad seals to me still. I’ve done two sets of those seals and the brake cleaner test never worked for me...
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

Default Re: 89 2 cycle EZ GO Marathon Trouble starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
No fuel pumping? Sounds like bad seals to me still. I’ve done two sets of those seals and the brake cleaner test never worked for me...

Alright thank you, that’s good to know! I did one last test..sprayed starter fluid into the carb and it fired RIGHT up. Still not pumping fuel though, so I guess I will get started in that seal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jcrouch023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO