lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2020, 03:46 PM   #11
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 Pg3 low power and carb overflowing

While it may not have an actual bypass... it has to have some kind of bypass function because the fuel has to go somewhere when the needle valve is closed

But if the needle valve and the pump are functioning properly... the only other possibility is that the fuel inline has been accidentally connected to a vent port... just a thought
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2020, 02:39 PM   #12
Skillz Construction
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Here is a video link to how it's running. I'm not sure if you can see it but there is gas squirting out of the overflow toward the rag I have draped over the back. Let me know what you think it needs.
Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eSmn1n-w
Skillz Construction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 04:57 PM   #13
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

It's running. That's good.

The drive clutch is not working at all. That is why the driven clutch isn't working.
That's the first issue.
EDIT: Connect your air cleaner.
My suggestion would be to take the original carburetor, and clean it out. Soak it, poke it, blow it out. Remove the brass center stem, and check every single orifice. That might fix the gas spitting problem.

I found this video to show you how the clutch is supposed to work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Dpo1GfZ4Q
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:49 AM   #14
Skillz Construction
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK so it looks like I need to rebuild the drive clutch? It slides over but maybe with not enough force to make the belt work it's way up it.
I don't think the carb that came on it was original and it no longer has the needle for the seat. It looked pretty clean like it was something the previous owner replaced to try to get things running. I read somewhere about putting a tee in between the pump and carb and sending back to the tank the excess gas. Any thoughts on that?
Based on the video should the RPMs run much higher than that or does that seem about the max?
Thanks for the help!
Old 02-03-2020, 02:28 AM   #15
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The tee is only for electric pumps because they are more trouble than they are worth. It seems to be running decent. If you bought two new carbs, try taking a needle valve out and put it in the carb that came with it. Fixing the clutch is your first priority.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:46 AM   #16
Skillz Construction
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I took both clutches apart. The drive clutch seems to have no broken parts and everything seems to function correctly. It is sliding over once revved up a bit. The sheaves aren't super flat. Especially the outside one. Is that a big issue that could prevent it from working properly?
The driven clutch had broken ramps inside so I ordered new ones of those. I'm thinking I'll fix that and see if everything works better.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:25 PM   #17
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Drive clutch will be fine... once the driven clutch is functioning... My sheaves are a bit groovy and it works just fine
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:53 PM   #18
Skillz Construction
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I messed around with the needles and tried to adjust the float all to no avail. I think the pressure is too much for the little spring in the top of the needle and the float bottoms out so it can't fully close.
Sooo I put a t in between the pump and the carburetor and the motor is running great! At last!
Now I'm just waiting for my driven clutch parts and I think I'll be on my way.
I picked up a pair of really nice 23" tires and rims of letgo this week and ordered a 5" lift.
Now we are getting somewhere!
Thanks for all of your help!
Old 02-19-2020, 08:26 PM   #19
Skillz Construction
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Lift is on! It looks great. The motor is running good. I have the air box hooked up and tuned the carb and it sounds good. The clutches still aren't engaging right though. I replaced the buttons on the driven and it seems to operate ok although the spring seems very stiff compared to the drive clutch.
The drive clutch slides over but it doesn't seem to have enough umph to engage the driven clutch.
Any ideas?
Old 02-20-2020, 12:00 PM   #20
Skillz Construction
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

To clarify; what I mean by the driven functioning properly is I can push it over by hand although it's kinda hard to do that. It seems to open slightly when running but how do I tell if I'm not getting enough RPM's to open fully or if something is faulty with either clutch?

Tags
1989, 2 cycle, carb spits gas, clutch, marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO