lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2020, 10:22 AM   #1
Steve Terplak
Not Yet Wild

Default New To Carts. How to proceed?

Just got traded an older Yamaha golf cart. It lacks tags and has been used and abused. The previous, previous owner had replaced the motor with a snomobile engine. It is a bombardier Rotax 640. Currently having fuel delivery issues.

To start the cart there is an ignition button drilled into the dash. The disconnect is 2 wires to ground out. Obviously it is a basket case.

Here is my question. Before I get into it in its current state. Should I stick with this motor or replace with a HF predator 390 or something like that?

I don’t know much about golf carts but am mechanically inclined. This would be used for running around the farm for fun. 2 little kids.

Any advice is appreciated.
Also. How do I determine which Yamaha cart I have?
Steve Terplak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2020, 05:21 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: New To Carts. How to proceed?

The Rotax snowmobile engine is a high rpm powerplant, probably not a good choice for kids.

You didn't say if the cart has a lift kit on it or not. The clone type engines like the Predator 420 are good choices if you keep them stock and don't race them. Pretty easy swap to do really. Good power, easy on fuel, can be used with the governor on the engine and on the cart to keep speeds down.

Post a pic we'll see what you have. You can use the serial number, but depending upon the cart the location of the number could be in various places.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:24 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If you have a G1 it does not have reverse in the transmission, that is a problem with 4 stroke engines. G1 has the key by the steering column and no shifter.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #4
Steve Terplak
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies sho305 and slonomo.
I will snap a couple pics in a little while when I go outside.
Good to know that the Rotax is not worth diddling with...I was hoping for something decisive and I appreciate your advice.
So...I will take a picture of the cart itself (no lift kit) and under the “hood”.

Hopefully you guys can walk me through what I am looking at. Whomever owned it before me Slapped the Rotax in there and left a lot of stuff hanging.

Reverse is definitely something that I would hope to be able to have or at least to add. I am not in a rush and have a little spare cash...

Not looking to set any speed records...just cruise the fields
Maybe take some tools out to a tractor here and there.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:12 PM   #5
Steve Terplak
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies sho305 and slonomo.
I will snap a couple pics in a little while when I go outside.
Good to know that the Rotax is not worth diddling with...I was hoping for something decisive and I appreciate your advice.
So...I will take a picture of the cart itself (no lift kit) and under the “hood”.

Hopefully you guys can walk me through what I am looking at. Whomever owned it before me Slapped the Rotax in there and left a lot of stuff hanging.

Reverse is definitely something that I would hope to be able to have or at least to add. I am not in a rush and have a little spare cash...

Not looking to set any speed records...just cruise the fields
Maybe take some tools out to a tractor here and there.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:34 PM   #6
Steve Terplak
Not Yet Wild

Here are pics
Thanks
Old 04-11-2020, 09:05 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yep, it's a G1. So, if you want reverse, you will need a 2-stroke capable of running backwards (basically starting using the original starter generator), or an axle with reverse if you want to run a 4-stroke. Money-wise, you might be better off getting something different & selling the G1 and snowmobile motor (or get the snowmobile motor setup in a way that allows it to run backwards for reverse vehicle direction).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 01:07 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Does that setup have reverse now? I think with a twin cylinder you can't run it backwards, am I correct?

I think if you want to go on the cheap, get the following:

HF420 engine $350?
Comet 780 Clutch $250?
Starter Switch $20?
Home fab engine mount

You might need a new belt, depending upon what you have now. The one you have might work if it's 1 3/16" and in good condition.

With this setup you WILL NOT have reverse. With that said, those carts are super light and you can easily push it backwards to park it etc.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:10 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If that setup runs now, maybe just use it as is and tighten it up with a starter switch etc. If the kids are going to drive it, might want to govern the speed somehow.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:29 AM   #10
Steve Terplak
Not Yet Wild

Hi guys,
Thanks for the previous responses. I have been having trouble using the site and have not had a chance to post a follow up.

Working on getting the current Rotax engine running. The diaphragm on the carb is torn up so it is not getting fuel into the engine.

It runs with gas poured in the cylinder and it pumps fuel, just not getting fuel where it needs to go.

Once that runs, I am going to see how it feels...if it is too fast...or unsafe. And then, as suggested by slonomo, fit it up with a starter switch.

I assume what he means by a starter switch is something that makes the pedal act as a starter? Any recommendations for switch?

If I am not happy with how that engine runs, I am planning to go one of 2 directions. 1) find a Yamaha bravo snowmobile engine, cheap, and utilize that. 2) Do a HF transplant and, eventually, hope to find a diff. Rear axle.

If I do the HF swap, there are 3 engine options. I understand the 420 (13 hp) seems to be the standard...I have read about the 6.5hp being used...
How underpowered would that be? I ask because it is cheap...

I also noticed they have an 8hp. How would that do? On both the 6.5 and 8 they Do not have elec start. Is there a recommended electric start I would Want to use for this application?

Slonomo also recommenced a comet clutch. It currently has a clutch on the Rotax shaft. Could I take that off and get an adaptor to make it work with the HF 3/4” shaft? I ask because current clutch appears functional.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha