lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2021, 09:45 AM   #11
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Best "bang for your buck" 8v batteries

Just some added information. Crown, US battery, Deka and Trojan are manufacturers and there may be others. Duracell from what I've found is made by Deka east of the Mississippi river and Interstate buys batteries from whoever can make them for them and puts them in their box. Crown (US made)has a better warranty when you need a replacement and Trojan you have be prepared to argue for a replacement. For what it's worth.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2021, 11:39 AM   #12
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
If your charger isn't designed with a profile for AGM's do not get them.
To expand on this further, a lead acid charge cycle that takes the pack up to about 65 volts during the finish charge can destroy an AGM battery pack.

A 12 volt AGM should not exceed a charge voltage of 14.4 volts typically ... which translates to 57.6 volts for a 48 volt pack.

Actual AGM charge voltage limits may vary based on the battery manufacturer.

As Volt_Ampere points out, you definitely need an AGM cycle on your battery charger if you go the AGM route.

I have not priced out deep cycle AGM golf cart batteries before, but will consider them for future replacements down the road when I need a new pack. The advantage of no gassing when charging has me interested.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:59 AM   #13
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The problem with "no gassing when charging" is that you don't balance the batteries very well. The overcharge that most FLA batteries get is partially to balance out any differences in cell capacities - to make sure that they are all fully charged. This overcharges the weaker batteries in the series chain. If you don't do that, the higher capacity batteries won't get fully charted and over time this can get pretty imbalanced. I use Lithium cells and they require "Balance Circuits" to keep them balanced since you can never overcharge any of the cells without damaging them. This is my main reason for not recommending AGM's for golf carts. They are fine for applications that only use one battery as long as the charging system is designed for them.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 12:16 PM   #14
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Hey zachegg...

Don't let the negative narrative dissuade you from AGMs ....Mine with my Eagle Pro
charger has and is a great combination....

A Lester Charger Summitt II 22259 Crown1 profile will kill of agms....But who says
you need to get a Lester charger..?

Look through the 4818 charger manual...

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...18+4.23.21.pdf

And you can install a ScottyB battery pack volt meter...I have 1 installed
and works great!!

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html

Happy Cartin'
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha