lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
bkboatnsleds
Not Yet Wild

Default 1996 Ezgo with Snowmobile motor - Need Gearing Help!

I have put a 500 cc Polaris twin into a 1996 4 stroke Golf cart.

Setup I used.
Polaris motor with the POLARIS factory primary clutch
connected to the stock EZ-GO Factory Secondary clutch.

The thing runs hard out of the hole, but then seems to run out of gear at the top end.

I also notice that if I just lay into the throttle that it feels if the secondary does not open, once i back off a little and the RPM's come down you can feel it "shift"..

Any thoughts? Anything I can do the the clutching or gears to make use of the full range?

Here is the cart:

Thanks!!
bkboatnsleds is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
mopar92
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1996 Ezgo with Snowmobile motor - Need Gearing Help!

When my old 89 EZ would not "shift" until I backed off, the little ramp sliders in the driven clutch were shot!! I mean shot. It should not take much time to pull off that driven clutch and get in to it.
mopar92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
bkboatnsleds
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar92 View Post
When my old 89 EZ would not "shift" until I backed off, the little ramp sliders in the driven clutch were shot!! I mean shot. It should not take much time to pull off that driven clutch and get in to it.
GOod thought - while I am at it.. is there any kind of "clutch Kit" for these..

ALso do I need a puller for the driven clutch?
Old 09-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
mopar92
Gone Wild

Ezgo did not need a puller...
Old 09-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

It looks like the belt is to tight? will it idle on the ground, also if the weights (arms) are too heavy it will bog the engine. The vidio has a lot of smoke, is it rich or are you running a lot of oil? You seem to have to step on the gas several times to get it rolling. Is it smearing rubber in the primary clutch? Tell us more.

KOOL RIDE!
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
mopar92
Gone Wild

I know Tom at CPP is the man when ut comes to modifying the drivens... His name here I think is bigblockman..
Old 09-20-2009, 02:19 PM   #7
mopar92
Gone Wild

Yeah, I meant to comment on how rich that thing was too!!
Old 09-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #8
bkboatnsleds
Not Yet Wild

I am running it 50:1 so yeah its probably running a bit rich, but that one video was the first blast for that motor after storage and being fogged. I have plans to re-jet carbs and add carb intakes outside the body to grab COLD air, but these are tweaking I am going to do as we go.

The main issue right now is defiantly a clutching / gearing problem, motor has no bog or anything and out of the hole is quick, but the power just falls on its face once it gets going - like its geared wrong.

The belt I don't think it too tight, I can leave it in gear and let the motor run, no rubber left on clutches or no squeaks, it will idle on ground

The suggestion to rebuild the driven clutch makes sense as it could be sticking or not ramping up as it should. just dont know if I should rebuilt it to stock specs..

Thanks guys!

Another video.. Bad quality :(

Old 09-20-2009, 08:35 PM   #9
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Put the rear on blocks and watch the clutches as you ramp up the rpm. You'll be able to see what is, or is not, working. Just a thought...
If the polaris cltch has heavier spring rate it won't act the same with the driven clutch as the ezgo stock drive clutch. I would think the driven needs to be tuned to match the drive...You may have some worn out parts too. Ramps are easy to replace...
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #10
bkboatnsleds
Not Yet Wild

This is a good idea - I just think its acting differently under load than when not.

I know the primary clutch is good as I went through it all before i put it on the cart.

Correct me if im wrong, but once up to speed isn't the secondary responsible for the top end...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO