lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
keith286
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default "Late 80's" Gas Marathon

Ok, I have been searching for a marathon that is gas that I can start for a project. I think I may have found one, But I need some advice. I havent gone to look at it yet, but, here is what I know. Body is in good shape, drive line appears ok. Engine has been removed to be rebuilt, and it comes with the rebuild kit. Has no top. It also needs a muffler and a battery. Pictures dont tell the whole story I know, But what should I be looking for when I go look at it, and he is asking $550 for it in this condition with the rebuild kit. (Jug, rings bearings gaskets, piston etc...) Is this a fair price for a cart like this. Thanks in advance. These are the pictures he sent me. Thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gas cart.jpg (307.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg gas cart2.jpg (255.9 KB, 36 views)
keith286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
cincinnati_kid
Getting Wild

Default Re: "Late 80's" Gas Marathon

I emailed that same guy today. If you can find a used muffler it would be ok. I'm not sure if you have priced out a new muffler or not but the are pretty steep. I was going to use it for parts for my cart. I haven't heard back from the guy. It would only work for me if its an 89.
cincinnati_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
keith286
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I was thinking about getting it as a project. Not sure yet. Looking at the body it looks like a pre 88. Just saying. Good luck.
keith286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

If it is as good as the pictures suggest then that is a nice little cart. The rebuild kit is worth $200 so you are effectively paying $350 for it. I think it is a 1987 as 1986 did not have that air intake on the passenger side and 1988 had a rubber nose. You really need a 2PG expert to make sure it is all there but if it were closer to home I would snap it up.

BTW the forward reverse lever is missing but that is a mere bagatelle.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
1lane66
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

looks like mine and it's an 88. for 550 and a rebuild not bad. be sure to look at the frame good for rot and broken welds. mine was in worse shape and i paid 300 for it but it sure looks different now. see at 1lane66 threads/albun. anyway good luck,,looks like to be a good project just from the pics. donald
1lane66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:05 AM   #6
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lane66 View Post
looks like mine and it's an 88. for 550 and a rebuild not bad. be sure to look at the frame good for rot and broken welds. mine was in worse shape and i paid 300 for it but it sure looks different now. see at 1lane66 threads/albun. anyway good luck,,looks like to be a good project just from the pics. donald
No offense, but if that picture looks like yours,then you don't have an 88.Unless someone put the older cowl on it. 88's were the first year of the plastic cowl extention. I have an 88 and 89, neither look like that.But I was known to be wrong before
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #7
cincinnati_kid
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokcrlr View Post
No offense, but if that picture looks like yours,then you don't have an 88.Unless someone put the older cowl on it. 88's were the first year of the plastic cowl extention. I have an 88 and 89, neither look like that.But I was known to be wrong before
I have an 89 and I don't have a plastic front cowl
Old 08-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

88-91 = plastic cowl (all models, including GXT "Workhorse" style).... 88= vertical muffler on drivers side with engine shaft running front to rear, 89-91= horizontal muffler under seat, shaft running side to side (3pg motor)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #9
cincinnati_kid
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
88-91 = plastic cowl (all models, including GXT "Workhorse" style).... 88= vertical muffler on drivers side with engine shaft running front to rear, 89-91= horizontal muffler under seat, shaft running side to side (3pg motor)
Maybe mine is missing it but I have an 89 with the 3pg and no plastic cowl
Old 08-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #10
Night
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What is meant by 2pg or 3pg?

Mark
Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO