lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #11
Blue Chip
Gone Wild

Default Re: Swapping out (upgrading) an EZ-GO Electric Motor

I would prepare for a metric assload of torque but not any noticable speed gain.
Blue Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2008, 05:34 PM   #12
StratoGeezer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Actually the increased torque is what we really need. This cart will "live" in the mtns of North Georgia. The fleet motor and stock controller just didn't have the hill climbing power (without asking passengers to get off...)

Also - since this model cart does not have the regenerative braking - it's good not to have too much speed anyway. Going down some of those hills reminds me a little of riding down a hill on a garage-built go cart as a kid.

The new D&D motor weighs a ton - it's going to be a two man job putting it in.
StratoGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:22 PM   #13
StratoGeezer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Go to 48v!

I can show you how to do it for about $200:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/extre...uates-48v.html
Gornoman - now that I've upgraded my motor and controller - I am very interested in your 48 volt upgrade plan (the one that costs about $200 with the great photos).

A couple of questions - I installed a 700amp controller - I assume that and my new high torque motor will be fine. I do question if I can use the (brand new) HD 36v solenoid that I just installed. I'm assuming I need a 48v HD replacement solenoid? That would be a bummer, as I just paid $115 for the new 36v HD solenoid - but I'm pretty sure it needs to go.

Also - do you by chance have a diagram that shows the battery series hookup (with the 2 additional batts?). I see how the first one hooks up in series - the one that sits under the driver's seat. But I'm not clear on how to hook up the one that sits in the golf club storage area. How many new cables total would I need to make this conversion? Four? All of my other cables are 4 GA.

Thanks! StratoGeezer
Old 11-30-2008, 09:23 PM   #14
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

SG, with the controller you are using I would HIGHLY recommend a 48v HD solenoid. I'm getting away with it on my cart so far, but I'm only running 400a.
As for the wiring, my new batteries are in the #4 and #7 positions in the series chain. If you can draw a series chain of 6 batteries, you can do it for 8 batteries. It all goes + to - to + to -, etc. I only needed 2 new cables for this upgrade. The $200 figure does not include a new solenoid.
gornoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #15
StratoGeezer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Okay - got it (I think...). I'll replace the solenoid for sure.

So is this diagram correct - showing the 8 batteries in sequence?

And when I succeed in converting to 48volts - I know I'll increase the speed - but will I chance losing much if any torque? If it's adding a lot of speed and losing a small amount of torque - that should be fine.

Thanks as always - this is a very creative modification, sir!
Old 12-01-2008, 06:39 AM   #16
Blue Chip
Gone Wild

You should expect to see your spped jump by 30% or so with no negative impact on torque.

Volts = Speed = Batteries

Amps = Torque = Controller
Blue Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:50 AM   #17
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

StratoGeezer, your diagram is perfect. Good luck with the upgrade. Use a digital meter to prove everything first.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:42 AM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Maybe I missed something ..... Is this controller specifically rated for 48 volts?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:25 AM   #19
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Good point scotty, but I assumed a 700 amp upgraded controller would be 48v compatible.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #20
StratoGeezer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Dang - after all this I sure hope that 700 amp controller is 48v compatible. I will call D&D to find out for sure. There is surprisingly little printed on the outside of this controller - and it came with next to no literature. I know it was manufactured in TX. My assumption is that it's likely ok - but I do need to find out - so thanks for bringing this up.

Different topic - with all this extra speed - what options do I have in terms of beefing up the braking system? Right now I've only got the 2 rear drums - which are in good shape and adjusted.

I know that there are front disk brake packages (that ain't cheap, by the way) - that supposedly don't work with lifted carts. Any suggestions? Brake failure in the mountains could be disasterous, but maybe I'm being over cautious - and the drum brakes may suffice?

Thanks as always for everyone's help!

Tags
electric, ez-go, motor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO