lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
rhinomike
Getting Wild

Default Burning Smell

I just bought a 2010 EzGo RXV. I bought it from a local dealer. It had been sitting outside for a long time. I actually bought 3 of them.

I took it out on my property. I have a long steep driveway. When I got to the bottom of the hill it smelt like something was burning. It was really bad. I thought for sure the cart was on fire. I tried the other 2 carts. Same thing. Is this normal? Maybe just from sitting? Or is the engine break burning from the long hill? I don't want to damage anything. Since the RXV is new to me I thought I better check. Thank you.
rhinomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-24-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Burning Smell

Probably resistors burning off acuminated dust and mold from carts not having to brake as hard wherever they came from. Just a guess.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Burning Smell

As you probably know, the RXV doesn't have a regular friction brake, but uses the motor in regeneration mode to slow/stop the cart. It mostly puts energy back INTO the battery pack when slowing/stopping. However, if the battery is fully charged, a big honkin' resistor is used to absorb the energy, and it will get quite hot in the process. As others have said, if the cart has been sitting, there can be some grunge on the resistor that needs to be burned off.

I'd be curious to know how the thing acts if you turn around at the bottom of your drive, return to the top, then descend again.

Personally, I love the RXV and its braking system, no adjustments and no wear. Don't turn the switch 'Off' while you're moving; there is a mechanical parking brake that will engage and it's a bit hard on it to have it actually stop the moving cart.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

RXV uses regenerative braking.
Motor brake is a "parking/emergency" brake only.

You need to see if burning smell is from motor brake
Or resister.

Motor brake is on the end of the drive motor.

Resister is on passenger side of cart under seat. (Look for vented metal stamped "caution hot")
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:14 PM   #5
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Your cart might have 2 resisters
One on each side of battery's under seat.

If cart is fully charged or hill is berry steep, the excess power from regen braking can cause b"burn off" resister(s) to get hot.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO