lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2015, 08:15 PM   #1
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Default 03 DS IQ Charging Issue

Working on an 03 IQ cart with brand new known good batteries and trying to charge it with a known good charger. Cart runs very well, everything acts normal.

The problem: When you plug in the cart the charger needle only goes to about 1/2 amp and there is just the slightest hum from the charger, and the cart won't charge up. I am thinking a bad OBC, just want to get some help as this is only the second IQ cart I've ever worked with. How does (or can) one bypass the OBC on the cart to check if it is bad?
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
greg-g
Gone Wild

Default Re: 03 DS IQ Charging Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93yellowclubcar View Post
Working on an 03 IQ cart with brand new known good batteries and trying to charge it with a known good charger. Cart runs very well, everything acts normal.

The problem: When you plug in the cart the charger needle only goes to about 1/2 amp and there is just the slightest hum from the charger, and the cart won't charge up. I am thinking a bad OBC, just want to get some help as this is only the second IQ cart I've ever worked with. How does (or can) one bypass the OBC on the cart to check if it is bad?
Black wire from charge receptical direct to battery pack negative.
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:28 PM   #3
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

This sounds like an OBC issue. If the bypass solves the problem, the OBC is more than likely bad.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:13 PM   #4
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-g View Post
Black wire from charge receptical direct to battery pack negative.
Thank you! I'll try this out tomorrow and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
This sounds like an OBC issue. If the bypass solves the problem, the OBC is more than likely bad.
I'll be testing it out soon, I'll keep the thread updated with what happens. I'm officially back in the cart repair business as the local golf course has just farmed out their cart work to me. I guess old habits die hard.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:16 PM   #5
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Welcome back Stan, we've been expecting you!

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...problem-2.html

------------
Sorry, should have been clearer. Check out the thread above. There is some good info in there relating to this problem. Did the local golf course upgrade from 94 DS 36v to 03 IQs?
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:17 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93yellowclubcar View Post
I'm officially back in the cart repair business as the local golf course has just farmed out their cart work to me.
You've got BGW on your side, we're here to help
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:49 PM   #7
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFanatic View Post
Welcome back Stan, we've been expecting you!

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...problem-2.html

------------
Sorry, should have been clearer. Check out the thread above. There is some good info in there relating to this problem. Did the local golf course upgrade from 94 DS 36v to 03 IQs?
Thanks for the warm welcome. They did in fact upgrade! They've got a few Precedents also now, I'm looking forward to seeing what makes one of those tick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
You've got BGW on your side, we're here to help
Thanks Jake! Before BGW I don't know if I'd have been able to decode a serial number properly, let alone work extensively on a cart. I've learned so much from the collective knowledge here!!!
Old 03-17-2015, 09:53 PM   #8
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Stan, maybe you can operate the WV branch of my shop
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:06 PM   #9
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFanatic View Post
Stan, maybe you can operate the WV branch of my shop
I can see the advertisements now: "Nick's Cart Repair, with two convenient locations in Upstate NY and BFE WV!"

Last edited by 93yellowclubcar; 03-17-2015 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: I don't know NY geography lol
Old 03-18-2015, 10:51 AM   #10
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Well, I tried an OBC reset this morning and as usual, the easy fix was a no-go. Jumped a wire from the black at the back of the charge receptacle to the pack negative and viola! The charger came right to life. Looks like I'm in the market for a CC OBC with the 6 pin square plug.

If I charge the cart with the jumper in place will the charger kick itself down and off, or will I have to manually shut it off? I'd like to charge up these new batteries to keep them healthy.

EDIT: Seems there are a sea of OBCs out there. This one is a Lester # 2115-02. Everywhere on the web says use this Nivel # 10929 http://www.nivelparts.com/pages/prod...10929&c=007&n=

Golf Cart King says use this one, and the connections look like what I've got. http://www.golfcartking.com/Club-Car...-034(8430).htm

I need to be sure before spending money that's not mine.

Serial #

IMG_20150318_121650291.jpg

OBC

IMG_20150318_121714690.jpg

Yes, I'll be cleaning this filth-pit up before it goes back to the course. The cart boy needs a swift kick in the rear.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car