lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
Shaun s
Not Yet Wild

Default Ez-go runs slow

04 ez-go 36 volt pds , replaced bad controller, also replaced micro switch and inductive throttle sensor , replaced selonoid, and speed sensor in motor. Cart now runs but only 5 mph . Checked all connections nothing getting hot. Any suggestions !!
Shaun s is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2015, 01:17 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ez-go runs slow

Put controller into diagnostic mode and see if it gives you any error codes.
The text at the bottom of the attached label tell you how to put it into diagnostics.

My guess is a speed sensor problem, but it could be other things.

Also, what is the pack voltage?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Label on Controller Cover.JPG (142.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:00 PM   #3
Shaun s
Not Yet Wild

Replaced speed sensor that wasn't problem also can't put mine in diagnostic mode have a pds control and I replaced it also. How would I test motor
Old 03-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #4
Shaun s
Not Yet Wild

Thanks man. I was able to get it in diagnstic mode with what you sent me it said selonoid was welded but I put two diff ones on there is it possible to get two new ones that are bad
Old 03-19-2015, 03:57 PM   #5
Shaun s
Not Yet Wild

Replaced selonoid again and still doing same thing runs very slow and when I put cart in diag it still says selonoid welded but I can hear it clicking and checked with wires off and when you put voltage on coil selonoid is opening and closing on big terminals as it should
Old 03-19-2015, 04:25 PM   #6
Shaun s
Not Yet Wild

There is a 250 ohm resistor between two big terminals on selonoid this may be why I am getting this code do you have any other suggestions.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:10 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Check the voltage at J1 Pins 4 and 5. The both have to be FULL pack voltage or you get a welded solenoid contacts error.

The 250Ω resistor is supposed to be there. It keeps the filter capacitors in the controller charged so the solenoid contacts don't arc as much when the close.

J1 Pins 4&5 feed pack voltage into the controller, one is for "Logic" power and the other is "Auxiliary" power, which is the voltage the controller send to the keyswitch and F/R switch. The controller o[pens and closes the solenoid, so it knows when the contacts should be open or closed. When they are open, the voltage om the controller's B+ terminal should be less than the voltage on Pin 4&5 and when they are close, it should be equal to it. Otherwise, it goes into a reduced performance mode and spits out an error code.

Pin-4 is fed by the reed switch, which is a problem source. Pin-5 is a piece of wire that connects to the battery side large terminal on the solenoid. Both will be FULL pack voltage all of the time, except when a charger is plugged into the cart's charge receptacle.

Last edited by JohnnieB; 03-19-2015 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: Added stuff
Old 03-19-2015, 06:34 PM   #8
Shaun s
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help found that guy I brought it from had the wire that was suppose to be on big terminal battery side was on coil of solenoid I got that right now have to wait till tomorrow to check reed switch ran out of day light will let you know how it goes
So just to be clear . If reed switch is not working it will put cart in slower mode correct
Old 03-20-2015, 06:15 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun s View Post
Thanks for the help found that guy I brought it from had the wire that was suppose to be on big terminal battery side was on coil of solenoid I got that right now have to wait till tomorrow to check reed switch ran out of day light will let you know how it goes
So just to be clear . If reed switch is not working it will put cart in slower mode correct
I called it quits for the night before you did.

The cart wouldn't have ran at all if that wire had been in the wrong place.
The solenoid's small terminals should have a Blue wire (Pin-6) on one and a Yellow wire (Pin-7) on the other. The wire from Pin-5 is Red.

The pin numbers on J1 are upside down and backwards to what most people expect them to be.
Bottom row of pins from right to left are 1-5, so Pin-5 (Red wire) would be the bottom left pin.

The top right pin is Pin-6, which is a Blue wire and does, in fact, go to one of the solenoid's small terminals.

The position of the jacks and pins are on the drawing of the controller on the attached PDS schematic.

-----------
If the reed switch contacts are open, the cart will not run. The idea was to disable the controller while it was being charged so the cart could not be driven away with the charger plugged into it. Nice theory, but poor implementation since the glass encapsulated reed switch caused unintended consequences, such as failing when you are out in the middle of nowhere. The reed switch caused so many problem that EZGO bypassed it at the factory in later production years.

The second attachment shows you how t bypass it.

False welded solenoid contacts errors are generated when there is excessive resistance somewhere in the circuits feeding Pins 4 & 5, causing there to be less than FULL pack voltage one either or both pins.

The cart is wired correctly or it wouldn't run at all.

---------------

Get the voltage on Pin's 4 & 5 to be equal to the pack voltage and the cart should run normally.
If not, more troubleshooting is needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS - Solenoid activation traced.jpg (69.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ezgo Reed Switch bypass.jpg (169.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-20-2015, 07:31 AM   #10
Shaun s
Not Yet Wild

It was the correct wire I figured out pin was upside down and the wire was on same coil terminal with yellow wire I will check that reed switch when I get home
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO