lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2015, 03:23 PM   #1
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Brakes "pulsating"

When I hit the brakes going down hill my brakes pulsate (maybe not the best description) like crazy. Pedal goes up and down. Feels like brakes are grabbing and letting loose. Any ideas?
sowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-27-2015, 05:05 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Brakes "pulsating"

Probably a long shot, but, can you tell if the frequency corresponds with the tire rotation? In other words, could it be out of round drums? Does it pulsate faster when moving faster, then slow as you slow down?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:08 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Every brake shoe set I adjusted grabbed at one spot in the drum rotation. If the out of round drum is quite pronounced you could feel it in the pedal...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Brake-drums are out-of-round.

Setting the parking brake after the brakes have been used hard (Drums hot) can do it, so can sitting with parking brake on for extended periods of time.

I felt my brake pedal pulsating the first time I took it out in the spring a couple years ago and I knew my cart didn't have ABS, so I guessed the drums had swelled a little where the shoes pushing against them for several weeks. A few hard stops from high speed without sliding tires got rid of the pulsing.

Might be something different with your brakes. I just know the drums on my cart are made out of mighty soft metal and are easy to deform when hot.

-------
Looks like Scotty and Yurtle type faster then me.

Last edited by JohnnieB; 03-27-2015 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: Added comment
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:56 PM   #5
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Check your rear springs, lift kit and brake cables. A problem with any of those can cause peddle pulsation.

I have had bent springs and a broken cable sheath do it several carts.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:07 PM   #6
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Check Ubolts on the rear lift for tightness/and that they aren't stretched or twisted. Common amongst CC lifts.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:07 PM   #7
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think YellowCC and Revolution probably nailed it. I was pretty sure my drums were ok since they are practically new Pinch hubs from Scotty. But...
I had recently ordered new rear springs because mine were bent. when I went to put them on I realized they were the wrong ones so I intentionally left the u bolts partially loose since I intended to re-order the proper springs. One thing led to another and I didn't get the new springs ordered and forgot about the u bolts. That's when the break problems got really bad. So now I have installed new HD springs and tightened down the bolts nicely and expect the problem to be solved. Can't check it out yet as I am waiting on new controller, should be here tomorrow.
sowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:21 PM   #8
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

The condition has been dubbed "axle twist" in the Club Car world because the Ubolt loosens and allows the axle to wrap forward when the brakes are applied, tightening the cables rapidly. This causes the pulsating you were describing, and sometimes complete lock-up. It is especially common with the lift kits utilizing one Ubolt per side, and when paired with stock springs you're really asking for it unless you keep an eye on the Ubolts pretty regularly.

Keep us posted on how it turns out.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:12 PM   #9
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

When my club car did it at first it felt like it had power brakes, just stopped with more authority, then came peddle pulsing, and finally locking the rear at the slightest touch of the peddle.

I had a combo of weak rear springs, axle twist, and a broken cable sheath. I think riding it with the bad springs caused the cable to self destruct.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO