lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2015, 07:10 PM   #1
Harleyx3
Not Yet Wild

Default Setup Improvments for offroad

I just bought a cart and am not sure what I have. H2096 is the model number. I think its a 96 TXT DCS. Is this right? it has a DCX controller that is model number DCX300 B10 I think is on the end. The motor says its an Advanced DC motors inc. Says AU2500 Fleet Speed 36 volt. The batteries are US 1800XC batteries. The cart has a tow switch also. It will run 14mph right now with 22 inch tires and a lift kit.My question is what can I do to give it more torque and power on hills? Hope I provided all the info needed.
Harleyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2015, 12:07 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Setup Improvments for offroad

The "fleet speed" motor is the same as high speed on the "dcs sepex" cart (its speed was "governed" slower by the controller). I think you should be seeing higher top speeds, given your tire size and controller combo. I think simething else may be amiss. Check your pack voltage while "full throttle" on flat ground at full speed (hope for above 34v at top speed cruise).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:48 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyx3 View Post
I just bought a cart and am not sure what I have. H2096 is the model number. I think its a 96 TXT DCS. Is this right? it has a DCX controller that is model number DCX300 B10 I think is on the end. The motor says its an Advanced DC motors inc. Says AU2500 Fleet Speed 36 volt. The batteries are US 1800XC batteries. The cart has a tow switch also. It will run 14mph right now with 22 inch tires and a lift kit.My question is what can I do to give it more torque and power on hills? Hope I provided all the info needed.
Higher ampacity controller. (300A is same as stock.)
Smaller tires. (The 22" tires are reducing the available torque by 18%)
Higher pack voltage.
Aftermarket motor.
Numerically higher gear ratio in differential.

----------
As for speed, 14 MPH is roughly stock speed, but with a DCX controller a DCS cart will do about 20 MPH on stock tires (18" inflated to 20 PSI) and with 22" tires, it ought to do up to about 24.5 MPH, so something is holding it back.

--------------
What make/model battery charger is being used to charge the batteries?
(US Battery batteries tend to be undercharged when a charger designed for Trojan batteries and their clones is used.)

What is the max inflation pressure stamped on the sidewalls of the tires?

Do the high current cables get hot?
(All 10 high current cables should be 4Ga or larger, DCS came with 6Ga)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:11 AM   #4
Harleyx3
Not Yet Wild

All the cables are 4awg. The charger is a charge wise plus I believe. I don't want to go any smaller on the tires. Will a 400 or 500 amp controller make that big a difference.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:55 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

As Johnnie pointed out. The stock motor is restricted to a stock amount of amperage with a gear change of +18%. I'm not surprised the results are disappointing.
Use pkg 505 = 400a alltrax/200a solenoid for 20 mph (speed based on 18" tires) and 35% increase in torque. This is a good safe set up for the stock motor.... additionally this set up and motor can be run on 42v by adding a 7th 6v battery under the drivers seat for an additional 16% more torque and speed... total improvement should be close to a 50% increase in torque and 23 mph on stock tires... your bigger tires will gain you a few mph.

Did you verify the run/tow switch on the controller cover per our phone call ? Use this chart to be sure of the drive system type. Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo-guide-#2.jpg (139.0 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #6
Harleyx3
Not Yet Wild

Yes sir it has the run tow switch on the cover. I really appreciate all the help guys.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
1. All the cables are 4awg.
2. The charger is a charge wise plus I believe.
3. I don't want to go any smaller on the tires.
4. Will a 400 or 500 amp controller make that big a difference.

2. Does the charge look like the one pictured below? A Powerwise is shown, a Powerwise Plus is the same except has a window with charging status LEDs in the upper left of the faceplate.

If so, your batteries may be chronically undercharged.

The second attachment is a State of Charge vs voltage chart from US Battery.
The voltages listed are measured about 12 hours after the charger shuts off.

3. If the 22" are the low pressure type (Less than 10 PSI max inflation pressure) they could be amp hogs and could be holding the carts speed down.

4. A larger controller will most definitely improve acceleration from a standstill and might reduce how much it slows on hills, but the top speed on level ground will probably stay about the same.

-------------
Check what the pack voltage drops to at top speed.

In a nutshell, the cart (as is) ought to be faster, so something is holding it back.
Could be the battery pack cannot produce the amps needed and/or the pack voltage is dropping excessively.
Could be excessive drag. (Tire pressure, dragging brakes, stiff bearings, ETC.)
Could be a bottleneck in the amp delivery system. (Excessive resistance in the cable connections, undersized solenoid, ETC.)
Could be motor issues. (Worn brushes or carbon dusty buildup inside the case shunting some of the current past the windings)
Could be ITS issues. (Throttle signal not going to 100%)

The trick is to figure out what is holding it back, fix that problem(s) or accept them and then upgrade it to the off-road performance you desire.

------------
I agree that a DCX400 and a 42V (or 48V) battery pack will improve performance, but I'd still try to find out what is keeping the speed down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PW charger - Faceplate.JPG (447.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png US Battery SoC vs OCV table from USB.png (185.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by JohnnieB; 04-01-2015 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: Added comment
Old 04-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #8
Harleyx3
Not Yet Wild

Yes the charger looks like that and says plus. It has the led bar with hours next to the lights. How long should I let it charge for?
Old 04-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #9
Harleyx3
Not Yet Wild

Also Johnnie what do you mean the batteries could be chronically undercharged? I really appreciate the help.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:50 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Yes the charger looks like that and says plus. It has the led bar with hours next to the lights. How long should I let it charge for?
Quote:
Also Johnnie what do you mean the batteries could be chronically undercharged? I really appreciate the help.
That is a PW+.
Recharge after each use and let the charger shut off automatically. If the charger doesn't shut off automatically, let it run. A day or so on that type charger won't overcharge the batteries.

Then let batteries rest (Neither charge or discharge) for about 12 hours and measure the pack voltage.
Should be 38.5V if they are being fully charged.

US Battery batteries require a high finish charge the Trojan batteries and the PW+ is based on a Trojan battery charging profile, so it might not take them to a high enough voltage before it shuts off.

If your PW+ charger isn't taking them to the recommended On-charge voltage before it shuts off and it is the only charger that set of batteries have ever been charged with, then undercharging is by definition a chronic condition.

If the voltage is low (or even if it isn't), try doing some back-to-back charges. IE: Put on charge overnight and then initiate a new charge the next morning before using cart. That may recover some of the storage capacity.

Attached is a tech bulletin about charger issues and charging recommendations from US Battery.

If you decide to up the pack voltage, you'll have to get a charger that matches the pack voltage, so get one with user selectable charge profiles.

The DPI Accusense I use is the best bang for the buck: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Technical_Service_Bulletin_09_04_2012.pdf (243.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf charging_instruction_2011_2.pdf (2.33 MB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO