lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2015, 03:55 PM   #1
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Intermittent problem with reverse

Hello!
I haven't been here in awhile. Everything's been working great on my 2006 raised TXT.

I send it to the cart clinic once a year to make sure it's in good health. It just had it's check-up a couple weeks ago and was good. I also always keep the batteries filled and charged.

Today I was riding it in our woods, and after I went backwards and then put it in forward (I have the knob on the front of the seat), it wouldn't go. I moved the knob back and forth and it finally worked. but it lunged. Well, in a little bit it happened again several times. It seems to happen mostly after I use reverse. I finally took the top off of the F/R thingamabob and checked the wiring. One of those wires that connects via the white plastic end into a metal piece was just a little loose. I squeezed on it, but it doesn't have much give, so it's still a bit loose, but after I mess with it, the reverse works better for awhile. Is it possible that that's my problem? All the other wires looked good and were well connected. What can I do to make it stay put?
Sorry about my ignorance.
Thanks!
Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Intermittent problem with reverse

Silverstreak.....FIRST, is your F&R switch stock or a HD switch?? either way, quiet a few people have had this happen, and its an easy fix....actually its an adjustment. as your F&R switch wares, it tends to loosen up and every once in awhile, the contacts won't be touching.....SO take the cover off of the F&R Switch again....get yourself a 9/16" wrench.....and in the center of the back of the F&R switch is a 9/16" nut.....tighten it down. Then see how it goes.....I'm betting your intermittent problem will disappear......if not.....and you have a STICK F&R switch.....its time to see ScottyB at cartsunlimited.net and get yourself a HD F&R switch.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:52 PM   #3
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Sir Nuke.

Please excuse my ignorance of some of these things. Okay........didn't have a 9/16 wrench, but did have some mm wrenches, one of which I think worked on the nut you're talking about. I couldn't cut and paste a pic of the switch, in order to make sure we're talking about the same nut......but I did find a pic of it on a thread here. Here's a link to that thread. Look at the 4th image down. Is it the smaller nut that is just above the big bolt thing that the F/R arm is connected to? It has a square thing around it? If so.....that's the one I tightened with an 8 mm wrench. I had to stabilize that big bolt, or it would all turn. I hope I got the right one. Let me know. I drove it a little and didn't have a problem.....but it does tend to be intermittent.

Here's that link........and it's the 4th pic down.
server1buggiesunlimitedcom/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=22236
Old 04-22-2015, 03:58 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You need to be more careful where you go on the internet
That website banned every person that joined this group when buggiesgonewild first started. We don't post links to their site here.
There is a better picture of your switch on my website... I'm sure you have seen it when you visited my site, you just forgot it was there.
The wire you are talking about being loose Is it small? What color is it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo F&R.jpg (21.9 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #5
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Oh Shoot Scotty! I saw that as from this website! Big oops! Sorry! hahahaha
I'll go check the color of that wire and let you know a little later.
Again.........so sorry!
Old 04-22-2015, 04:57 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No problem, if its a small wire this may be an easy fix
Old 04-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #7
felliott
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

14mm is slightly smaller than a 9/16 but may work for your problem
felliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #8
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, my husband brought home the 9/16th wrench he had taken to work and the minute I saw it I knew I had tightened up the wrong nut. It was for something much bigger than the nut I tightened up. I wonder if I need to un-tighten that now?

Checked the wire, and it's blue and small. It's just very loose and disconnects very easily. The other day, I removed that wire from where it's supposed to go and the cart wouldn't go forward or backwards. If that had come loose while I was driving the cart, it wouldn't even have been able to go backwards, right? Does one of those wires just control going backwards?
Old 04-22-2015, 07:42 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Okay now I know what you are looking at... there are 2 micro switches on the top of the F&R and the blue wire goes to your keyswitch - so yeah, pull that off and you got a no go situation. If any of those push on spade connection wires are loose simply remove it and squeeze it in a pliers a bit to make it fit on tighter. It doesn't take much force.

As I said 2 micro switches on the F&R. The one on the drivers side powers the key switch wire in both F&R, so unless the switch trigger is misaligned and not getting triggered in reverse.... it more likely that you have a high amp contact problem in the F&R. Use that 9/16th wrench to tighten the center pivot nut (marked B in the instruction below) 1/4 of a turn. Nut B is locate on the rear side of the F&R switch... and then test operation. If problem persists, tighten another 1/4 turn and retest operation. If problem persists and shift handle has become harder to operate from these adjustments then you may have a damaged contact inside the F&R.
If problem is persisting and F&R handle has not gotten harder to operate then nut B was very loose and you can tighten it until the handle gets somewhat harder to move and re test.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F&R-Exploded-View-for-print.jpg (133.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-22-2015, 08:45 PM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Silverstreak, obviously "THE MAN" (Scotty) is here.....he will take very good care of you and your situation.....as he has done for so many of us through the years. Just listen to him and you will be running the roads trouble free in no time!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO