lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2015, 03:39 PM   #21
Engman69
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

It's looking good so far. What did you end up doing about the motor terminal?
Engman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #22
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1992 Club Car DS - Renovation Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engman69 View Post
It's looking good so far. What did you end up doing about the motor terminal?
After cracking my differential trying to get the old armature off, I ordered a Bandit and used rearend with axle/differential/brakes. In hindsight, I didn't have to get the armature off, I could have just gotten the field winding lugs replaced. But at least now I'll get a little more power.

One of the top rails (1-1/2" flat) that goes from the shock mount to behind the seat cracked at the turn (see photo) and because of it's location, I don't trust the weld to hold. However, I did remove it and repair it just to see how well I could do the welding on aluminum. Turned out nice, but I've got some new stock on order to make a new one. So today, using the old one as a template, I made a jig to bend the new one.

Also found a couple of stress cracks on each side near rocker panel. I don't think it is a big concern looking at the size metal they used but I plan on scabbing it with some flat bar when it gets here.

And today, I ordered a Jakes double-a 6" lift and a couple of steering bellows. One of mine is shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broken_seat_mount.jpg (74.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg frame_rail_removed.jpg (104.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg bending_jig.jpg (82.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg stress_crack.jpg (52.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg stress_crack_right.jpg (92.1 KB, 0 views)
klanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:37 PM   #23
Engman69
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

It looks.like it is. Coming along niceky. Sorry to see so much structural damage..that always makes it harder and more expensive. The up side.is you are gaining proficiency at welding aluminum. My only advice is to VERIFY that you get what you ordered from Jakes. I ordered a Jakes 4" double A kit and got a 6" kit for a different cart. I didn't pay close enough attention and had several parts repainted and started installation before I noticed. Completely my lacknof attention to detail. Jakes was good about taking it back and giving me a full refund. What got my goat was that when you call you get a contract sales center and not Jakes proper.. So I bought an Allsport instead. Bolted right up.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:40 AM   #24
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

Just saw your post. Welding aluminum has proven a bit difficult with a mig. Have two of them and tried them both but hard to be consistent. I fabricated a new front bumper but about out of argon so may not get it on today.

Have the lift and hope it's the correct one with all the parts. It does have some pieces with the finish knocked off in places. Also got the rear end and bandit.

Will work to get bumper put back on, install the lift, complete installation of top rail behind drivers seat.
I'll do the 36-48 conversion after the heavy stuff is done. I'm slow but making progress. Post photos later on.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #25
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Check with your welding supply house...I think there might be another gas that works better with aluminum...
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:15 AM   #26
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss20 View Post
Check with your welding supply house...I think there might be another gas that works better with aluminum...
I'll ask but unless things have changed,pure argon for aluminum. Steel uses a argon/co2 mix. I have to pick up some supplies this week so I will see if there has been an updated gas.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:15 PM   #27
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

Got lots of goodies in for the cart. New Bandit, newer rear end, new steering bellows,..and a 6" lift which is now installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bandit.jpg (98.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg axle.jpg (89.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg new bellows.jpg (54.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg lift installed.jpg (189.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-09-2015, 11:52 AM   #28
Blitzkrieg
Getting Wild
Club Car

Location: Hell, Fl. Sucking the life out of old geezers, one drop of sweat at a time !

Looking good there man. That is some revival for that cart. I would have burned itjust kidding man.
Blitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:31 PM   #29
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

Starting to make some progress. Lots left to do including installing motor, adding differential fluid, possibly replacing battery holder(s) since I already purchased the metal to have in case I had to, a couple more welds where they broke when whoever rammed something bending the bumper, etc.

Other than that want to do some aluminum cleaning and will be using acid coil cleaner that is normally used to clean AC evaporator units. Also will be re-wiring, replacing the front headlights, adding some tail lights, and after all the construction work is done, I'll install the stuff for the electronic conversion.

Haven't gotten around to looking yet but I want to figure out either a way to wirelessly program the alltrax controller or at minimum have a panel mount usb connection where I can plug in easily.

Here are a few photos that show how far the front end of this thing has come. Replaced the steering bellows, tie rod and steering ends, installed lift, fabricated, bolted and welded on new bumper, a little paint and cleaning. Also replaced the front hubs complete with new races, bearings and seals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front_end.jpg (117.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg new_front_end.jpg (103.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg new_frontend.jpg (105.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg old_ball_joints.jpg (86.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-15-2015, 08:11 AM   #30
Engman69
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

It's looking good thus far. Look fwd to seeing it completed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car