lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2015, 10:22 AM   #11
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: new guy with questions

What charger are you going to use? Most are designed for 36 or 48V.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2015, 10:24 AM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Increased voltage will improve performance.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:35 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailbode View Post
What might happen if I add one 6v battery upping to 42 volts?
You'd get about 17% more torque and speed, but there are some things to consider.

1. The controller and solenoid have to be compatible with 42V.
Aftermarket controller usually run on anything from 36V to 48V, but most solenoids are voltage specific. The 48V 400A Super-Duty I use works at 36V, 42V and 48V.

2. Battery charger has to match pack voltage.

3. Mixing old and new batteries doesn't work very well. The imbalance kills them quicker. It's best to add a seventh battery that is same brand and AH and age as the other six. I installed seven new batteries when I went to 42V.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:39 PM   #14
sailbode
Not Yet Wild

According to serial number. It is a 96 medalist
sailbode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:53 PM   #15
sailbode
Not Yet Wild

Stock oem charger...36v. Stock motor....stock controller
Burning cable ends at rev switch I suspect means I should replace all the cables. I was concerned that my motor might be drawing too much, but from what you guys are telling me, my draw is normal.
From what im reading, new cables and another battery is a bad idea unless I upgrade the rest of the system. Scotties 101B. Seems like a nice plan with new cables......approx $500 upgrade
Is there a better plan or does that sound about right? Really dont want to spend that much but if anything less isnt going to work, I'll just have to start saving......fathers day is coming soon right?
Old 05-16-2015, 09:03 PM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Cannot use a 36v charger to charge a 42v pack, batteries would be chronically undercharged, shortening their range and overall lifespan.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:39 AM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

For future reference: Describe your cart as a "96 Medalist Series" (Year + Body style + Drive type) when you ask questions about it in future threads. There were many body styles and two very different drive types in 96, so including a description of the cart gets everybody on the same page.

Replacing cable, controller and solenoid is a good plan.
Choosing the 101B package will allow you to go to 42V or 48V in the future.

When you go to a higher voltage battery pack, you have to replace the battery charger also, so you'll need more than just another 6V battery to get to 42V.

There aren't many 42V chargers on the market. I use a 42V DPI Accusense charger, which is one of best chargers out there as well as being the best bang for the buck. http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html
In addition, at some future date, it can be converted to a 48V charger by replacing one PC Board. It still costs about $125 to convert it, but that's less than half the price of a new charger.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #18
sailbode
Not Yet Wild

Perhaps the 101b package is a good first step and then next year go to a 48 volt set up. If I have to buy a new charger, might as well go up to 48...right? Is there a con going to 48?
Old 05-17-2015, 08:48 AM   #19
sailbode
Not Yet Wild

Curious....if I stomp the throttle at a dead stop...simulating "stall" condition and my max amp draw is 200, does that mean my controller has a 200 amp max?

Also, I know nothing about programable speed contollers? Can one of you give me a nut shell version?

Many thanks
Old 05-17-2015, 10:36 AM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailbode View Post
Perhaps the 101b package is a good first step and then next year go to a 48 volt set up. If I have to buy a new charger, might as well go up to 48...right? Is there a con going to 48?
No cons for you going to 48V that I know of.

If you think you might go the 6 X 8V route, buy/build cables for 8V batteries. The interconnecting cables within the battery pack have to be longer since 8V batteries have both terminals on the same side. The longer cables will work fine with 6V batteries in the interim.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO