lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2015, 08:28 PM   #1
CC glocker
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Motor question. How hot is too hot?

So I've been running my buggy for about 2 weeks since installing my Plum Quick bandit. The very first night I drove it I got caught in a pretty bad rain storm so I was giving it hell trying to get back to the house. I was off-road but not in any mud. As I was riding the buggy had a few violent "bucks" and then loss of power. Let off the go pedal and it would go again. I was pretty worried about it so I have been keeping track ove every ride since.

First off, my buggy is rarely on hard solid ground. Over the course of the last couple of weeks I have been taking the the same ride that I did before the bandit conversion. It usually lasts about an hour and a 1/2 and is through sand and brush. My speeds on my rides rarely exceed 10 mph so I'm usually only at 1/4 throttle. I've been checking the motor temps with an infrared thermometer after each ride. All temps are above 200° with the highest being tonight at 225°. The violent "bucking" and power loss has not occurred since the initial ride and im pretty happy with the bandit. I did not check the temp that time so I'm not sure if it overheated which caused the problem.

So this brings me to my question. Is 225° too hot for a motor? There is no smell of anything burning but I'm not sure what the acceptable range is. Is there a possible safety measure in the controller that could cause it to shut down? Hopefully some of you know the info I need. I definitely don't want to cause any damage to any electrical components.
CC glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #2
cartattach
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Motor question. How hot is too hot?

Given the info in your siggy, I'd call plum quick and confirm temps with them. They answer the phone almost every time
cartattach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:56 PM   #3
greg-g
Gone Wild

That is getting up there and that is outside temperature where are you measuring the body measure the endplate also it would be much hotter inside
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:57 PM   #4
greg-g
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartattach View Post
Given the info in your siggy, I'd call plum quick and confirm temps with them. They answer the phone almost every time
So I take it they don't answer the other time
Old 09-01-2015, 09:14 PM   #5
CC glocker
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-g View Post
That is getting up there and that is outside temperature where are you measuring the body measure the endplate also it would be much hotter inside
The end cap is always about 20 to 30° cooler than the body of the motor. Can low speed driving cause more heat than high speeds? Seems to me that lower speeds means lower amperage and in turn, less heat.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #6
greg-g
Gone Wild

Just the opposite high-speed cruising uses less. Both armature and field
Old 09-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

I talked to PQ about a Bandit which purchased but haven't used yet and they told me there were two types of GE motors used. One more tolerant of heat than the other. I ended up with the less tolerant they called a thin can.

If I remember correctly, I think they said 200 degrees F max outside case temp on my Bandit. He said if I couldn't keep my hand on there for more than a 2-3 seconds, it was too hot.

Think it will depend on which motor your Bandit is using.
klanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:31 PM   #8
CC glocker
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I guess was hoping for a more definitive answer but I realize that there are a lot of variables that yield different results. I guess I should call them and get their spec.

The upside though, is that it runs great! 26 MPH when it does see hard ground. I just don't want to burn anything up by overheating.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:34 PM   #9
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

This thread is a couple of months old, but how is your cart? Any more issues? I have a similar set up, which is why I am asking.
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car