lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2015, 09:25 AM   #11
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 93 Club Car DS With Scottyb's Conversion Kit Help

The FNR contacts should make a "solid" connection as there is a lot of current going through there.

Was the FNR in neutral when you measured the voltage from M- to B-?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2015, 10:01 AM   #12
xfactor
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Its making what I would call a good connection. The wiper appears to be spring loaded and of course the connections do pivot for the rotation of the switch. I wouldn't think the F-N-R switch would go bad within three years of very minimal use but I could be wrong. Its the heavy duty one that scotty sells.

No sir the switch was not in the neutral position when I tested the M- to B-. I will test it with the FNR switch in neutral. Test Results: "Idle" solenoid open 26._ _ volts. solenoid closed 28._ _ volts and pushing the throttle down to 0 volts.
xfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:59 AM   #13
xfactor
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I just got it to stop running again. Had 4.7v across the solenoid and it went to 0v with the pedal. Reading M- to B- at "idle" solenoid open I had 48.-- volts. Pedal just pressed, solenoid closed pack voltage at 51.3 volts. Pushing pedal to floor-no change in voltage at all read 51.3 all the way. With the FNR switch in neutral I got 28.-- volts, same as last time but did not change all the way to the floor. That changed from the last test when everything was running. What does that point to??

Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #14
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

My question about the FNR being on Neutral was because if the voltage from M- to B- was changing as you indicated the first time, the motor should have been running unless the FNR was in neutral or it is not working.

If the motor was running on the first test, then no conclusion can be made.

If the recent test you did, the FNR was in forward, the solenoid clicked but the voltage in M- to B- did not change from Pedal up to Pedal down, the issue is likely in the throttle signal.

In the setup you have, Is the throttle wired directly to the controller or is it going through a micro switch in the FNR for half-speed reverse?
Old 10-07-2015, 03:07 PM   #15
xfactor
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Its a potentiometer that plugs directly to the controller. The throttle is supposed to be 0-5K and I get that when I check it. Could it be throttle control in the controller?
Old 10-07-2015, 03:35 PM   #16
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Keep the FNR in forward for the tests as you likely have a micro switch there in line with the controller activation.

Keep the cart rear wheel raised as well.

We know the solenoid is engaging and the contacts are good.

If you can verify the throttle signal by disconnecting the 2 wires at the controller and measuring the resistance on the wires themselves when the cart is not running (since the problem is intermittent), the issue may be the controller.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:39 PM   #17
xfactor
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

That's what I was afraid of. I think we have ruled out the FNR switch, correct? The only other thing it could be is the controller. If we are on the same page, I guess I'll see if I can get a controller ordered tonight.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:59 PM   #18
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The FNR would have been a suspect if when in forward you got the M- to B- voltage to 0v and the motor did not work.

If You are sure the throttle signal range was correct the second time when it did not work, then the controller is not responding to the signal.

Check with scottyb to see if he concurs.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:13 PM   #19
xfactor
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I sent Scotty an email and he said to bring it over to BGW so I hope he will see it tonight. Funny thing is, it's working again now!

Thank you again for all of your help!
Old 10-08-2015, 08:20 AM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The F&R is always suspect in a non working Series cart. A simple continuity test can give some indication of whether it is the cause of a no go situation. It has a micro switch which can become intermittent and may or may not be in use depending upon the installer's choice.
There is a second micro switch on the pot box and that is suspect also if the cart is misbehaving. Again a simple continuity test will tell if these switches are working when the cart will not go.
All of the small wires and 26 cable ends are suspect in an intermittent situation. Check wires for continuity and pull and twist all cables to see they are tight and solid.
Check that the solenoid does click when the cart will not go. IF it does check that the contacts are actually good by removing the resistor and doing a continuity test.
Verify the controller is getting (+) power to pin #1 when it won't go and that the throttle signal is within range when the cart will not go.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car