lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2015, 09:39 PM   #1
Electric family
Not Yet Wild

Default Our first golf cart

Hello all! My first post just to show off our new ride. I got this from a local dealer that was looking to unload some older carts they had from a fleet. I bought this as a 2005, CC, 2 seater, basic golf cart for a nice price. We had them add all the goodies.. New Trojans, lift, tires, paint, new dash, mirrors, hitch, rear seat (that folds so I can fit in my f350, 8' bed.

Anyway, quick newbie question about the charging. I just plugged it in for my first time and the charger turns on and off every 10 seconds or so.

0 amps to above 15 amps. It has been doing this for the past 2 hours. I have been reading up, but none say they continue to turn on and off the entire time. Is this normal?

Thanks for any help that you can provide. I look forward to continually adding stuff and having fun with it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (38.3 KB, 0 views)
Electric family is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2015, 10:48 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Our first golf cart

Is the on-board computer beige in color or grey? It's the small plastic box that has the main negative power cable running right through the middle of it. It's located on the aluminum component mounting panel directly behind the battery pack. If it's grey, this is normal. If it's beige, it's not.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:10 PM   #3
Electric family
Not Yet Wild

It is beige.. What is the difference between the two? From the few you tube videos I have seen, it seems the charger should stay on "hum" the entire time until the batteries are charged. This keeps on cycling.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:02 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric family View Post
It is beige.. What is the difference between the two? From the few you tube videos I have seen, it seems the charger should stay on "hum" the entire time until the batteries are charged. This keeps on cycling.
Different software. The older beige OBCs were designed to turn on within 2-10 seconds of inserting the plug and turn off within 10 seconds of starting to charge. It would immediately turn back on and finish the charge cycle without turning off until it was finished. The newer grey OBC will turn on and off constantly while it's charging to sample the battery pack voltage. It sounds like you've either got a bad charger relay or a bad OBC. Does the relay in the charger "Click" every time the charger turns off or does the ammeter on the charger just drop to zero and turn back on? If it's clicking, it means that the OBC has failed and it's telling the charger to turn off. If the relay isn't clicking off when the charger turns off, it's safe to say you probably have a relay that's failing.

Replacement part numbers are as follows:
OBC - 103359401 for the IQ system, can be determined by vehicle serial number prefix "AQ"
or
101909901 if it's a "series" drive system, indicated by the Lever style F&R Switch verses the toggle switch that the IQ would have.

Relay - 103414901
Old 11-27-2015, 06:29 PM   #5
Electric family
Not Yet Wild

Hello and thanks for the help. It is all under warranty so I am not too worried, but they are closed until Monday and I just didn't want the thing to fry up over night. It doesn't make any weird noises and we have been using it the past 2 days and it is charging the batteries (though I just keep it on for only 2-3 hours as I don't want to Damage anything if it is bad.)

Just seems odd.. Maybe they changed something out and keep the beige cover? I guess I will find out soon enough. Thanks!
Old 11-27-2015, 08:50 PM   #6
fishbooz
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric family View Post
Hello all! My first post just to show off our new ride. I got this from a local dealer that was looking to unload some older carts they had from a fleet. I bought this as a 2005, CC, 2 seater, basic golf cart for a nice price. We had them add all the goodies.. New Trojans, lift, tires, paint, new dash, mirrors, hitch, rear seat (that folds so I can fit in my f350, 8' bed.

Anyway, quick newbie question about the charging. I just plugged it in for my first time and the charger turns on and off every 10 seconds or so.

0 amps to above 15 amps. It has been doing this for the past 2 hours. I have been reading up, but none say they continue to turn on and off the entire time. Is this normal?

Thanks for any help that you can provide. I look forward to continually adding stuff and having fun with it!
that's a good looking cart ! something about those DS carts just looks good, especially when they are lifted.
fishbooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:01 AM   #7
Electric family
Not Yet Wild

Thanks! We are enjoying it. Took a 12 mile drive around the neighborhood, was a lot of fun.

I put it in the truck yesterday and fit perfectly. I folded the foot rest and closed the gate. It was a bit slow climbing up the ramps as the f350 4x4 tailgates are very high. Can't wait to go camping with it.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:37 PM   #8
Electric family
Not Yet Wild

I thought I would update my issue just in case anyone has the same. TahoedawgZ71 was correct. The dealer had to replace the OBC (per warranty!) though it was not making all the noises like was mentioned below, it was bad.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-12-2015, 07:13 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

I'm assuming they put a grey one in it?
Old 12-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #10
Electric family
Not Yet Wild

Yes sir!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car