lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #1
BobbyT
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Another charger question

First a little history.....I purchased my 2000 Club Car DS a couple years ago and with the help of several very knowledgeable members of this forum (read some of my previous threads for more details) and many hours of work I can finally see the end of this project. Last week I had some new aluminum sections welded to the frame to replace corroded portions of the battery trays. Once that was done I purchased and installed six new 8v batteries. The cart is amazing......finally. Now to the reason for this post. Since I replaced the battery pack the batteries seem to charge far too long and the OBC does not turn the charger off. I can hear the batteries boiling away after a few hours of charging. I have tried the reset procedure but that doesn't seem to have worked. My question is should I let the charger run for a while longer and see what happens? Or am I missing something? I certainly don't want to damage my new batteries. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
BobbyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2017, 06:30 PM   #2
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Another charger question

It could very well take up to 16 hours to charge batteries, however that should be in stages. Your AMP meter on the charger should be dropping the longer it charges.

Oh and by the way...I don't think there is ever an "end" of a golf cart project...
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:30 PM   #3
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think resetting the OBC starts a new cycle
of the OBC . It begins to charge the batts as new , all over again

Let it charge, check the water every couple weeks

pull the plug before the charge cycle is complete & the battery light
on the dash should blink. That's a sign the OBC is working properly (let's you know the charge cycle was interrupted before the batts were fully charged)

Charge volts may reach to 65 volts for the first few charges of new batts

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-65-volts.html
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:21 PM   #4
BobbyT
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for all the input. The amp meter on the charger is dropping as Kashmir stated so I'm pretty sure the charger is operating correctly just didn't want to possibly damage any of the new batteries. I also have to agree with him about being done with the cart......it's kind of an addiction for sure. I will post an update as soon the batteries reach a full charge.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:50 PM   #5
BobbyT
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Update: The charger did exactly what it was supposed to do. It shut down after another couple hours of charging. Thanks again for the guidance.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:49 PM   #6
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:51 PM   #7
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

No harm in asking an important question. Better to ask than a fire. Wondering, why weren't your NEW batts charged, or at least mostly charged when you bought them?
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:14 PM   #8
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
No harm in asking an important question. Better to ask than a fire. Wondering, why weren't your NEW batts charged, or at least mostly charged when you bought them?
I've never seen any new battery when purchased fully charged. Maybe 90% at best. I usually top off the charge on auto batteries with a portable charger before installing, "Less work for the alternator".
Since I've never purchased a set of batteries for a golf cart yet, I'd suppose they are the same, not fully charged.
It depends how long the batteries have sat on a shelf since they have left the factory.
Quote:
Lead-acid batteries lose charge at a rate of about 2-8% per month at 20°C; the self-discharge rate approximately doubles for every 10°C increase in temperature.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:26 PM   #9
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes I realize not 100%. But 16 hrs for the first charge?
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #10
klubber
Gone Wild
Club Car

If you research new batteries you will find the first charge takes long time and that boiling sound is not abnormal. This is part of the equalization process is believe
klubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car