lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2017, 06:57 AM   #11
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Changing cart speed

It is on the end of the motor under the speed sensor. There are two types, one for the GE motor it is pressed on the end of the motor shaft, gray motor. Then the ADC motor has the magnet held on the end of the shaft by a screw. Black motor.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2017, 08:28 AM   #12
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks again.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:40 AM   #13
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

For those not versed in all of this, like myself, you may be interested in the answer to my original post. The following information is taken from Dave's Revolution Golf Cars ebay page on the speed magnet. I have only just found that page and the info is brilliant Dave. I hope you don't mind me plagiarising it here.

The 48V SepEx system is programmable. The factory options are:
  • Speed setting 1 = 8 mph
  • Speed setting 2 = 13.2 mph
  • Speed setting 3 = 14.8 mph
  • Speed setting 4 = 19.6 mph

To change the settings requires a dealer to get a code from Club Car to unlock the required setting, costing about $100.

An alternate is to change the magnet on the front of the motor from an 8-pole magnet to a 4-pole one thus communicating with the speed sensor half as often. This theoretically doubles the speed settings but in reality the most you'll get are speeds around 20-24 mph assuming no drag caused by dragging brakes, poor wheel alignment, worn hub bearings etc.

Two things to note with this change:
  • regenerative motor braking becomes disabled
  • power and torque remain the same

So the bottom line for a magnet change is that the speed is increased because it allows the motor to spin to a higher rpm (in effect it is no longer rev limited) but it does not change the amounts of power or torque put out by the motor.

Beyond that there are upgraded motors, controllers, solenoids, cables and FNR switches. All of these are comprehensively catered for and documented by the site sponsors Dave at Revolution Golf Cars and scottyb at Carts Unlimited.

I particularly found interesting the information that scottyb has on his site regarding the Alltrax controller and the new capability of Shift-on-the-fly which allows you to save programs and then switch on the move between speed priority and torque priority. http://www.cartsunlimited.net/shift-on-the-fly.html
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:11 AM   #14
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I will just add the speed magnet option is only for IQ carts (black controller), the Excel drive system (gray or white controller) does not support the speed magnet.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I believe a speed controller from Alltrax is the best way to spend your upgrade allowance. I just spent the $ on a controller update to code 4 in my 2014 Precedent. I do see an increase in top speed but not so much up hill as the power is not there.
A simple 300(350 peak) or 400 amp(460 peak) Alltrax will net more torque and speeds up to 23 mph.
400 amps leaves the motor upgrade later option open
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:52 PM   #16
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
...snip...A simple 300(350 peak) or 400 amp(460 peak) Alltrax will net more torque and speeds up to 23 mph.
400 amps leaves the motor upgrade later option open
Would this also be true for a GE motor on the CC? I read they can not handle the added amps. If what you said is true for GE motors, sounds like a perfect upgrade for me without sinking a ton of money into all the supporting parts.
Cruise Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:16 PM   #17
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Master View Post
Would this also be true for a GE motor on the CC? I read they can not handle the added amps. If what you said is true for GE motors, sounds like a perfect upgrade for me without sinking a ton of money into all the supporting parts.
The GE motor has small brushes and can't withstand high amp loads like the ADC motor or aftermarket motors. I would feel comfortable running a 300 amp controller on it as long as you weren't pulling heavy loads.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:52 PM   #18
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
The GE motor has small brushes and can't withstand high amp loads like the ADC motor or aftermarket motors. I would feel comfortable running a 300 amp controller on it as long as you weren't pulling heavy loads.
Excuse my ignorance, but when you say heavy loads, what does that mean in laymen terms?

Also I did a little reading up on that Alltrax and in some places it says all of them require a HD solenoid upgrade.

For me this might be the perfect solution. I need the torque mostly, but would like to go beyond 15mph (code 3) at times. Like the regen part of the IQ system also. Got a few hills to deal with.
Cruise Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:25 PM   #19
Bigchief803
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
For those not versed in all of this, like myself, you may be interested in the answer to my original post. The following information is taken from Dave's Revolution Golf Cars ebay page on the speed magnet. I have only just found that page and the info is brilliant Dave. I hope you don't mind me plagiarising it here.

The 48V SepEx system is programmable. The factory options are:
  • Speed setting 1 = 8 mph
  • Speed setting 2 = 13.2 mph
  • Speed setting 3 = 14.8 mph
  • Speed setting 4 = 19.6 mph

To change the settings requires a dealer to get a code from Club Car to unlock the required setting, costing about $100.

An alternate is to change the magnet on the front of the motor from an 8-pole magnet to a 4-pole one thus communicating with the speed sensor half as often. This theoretically doubles the speed settings but in reality the most you'll get are speeds around 20-24 mph assuming no drag caused by dragging brakes, poor wheel alignment, worn hub bearings etc.

Two things to note with this change:
  • regenerative motor braking becomes disabled
  • power and torque remain the same

So the bottom line for a magnet change is that the speed is increased because it allows the motor to spin to a higher rpm (in effect it is no longer rev limited) but it does not change the amounts of power or torque put out by the motor.

Beyond that there are upgraded motors, controllers, solenoids, cables and FNR switches. All of these are comprehensively catered for and documented by the site sponsors Dave at Revolution Golf Cars and scottyb at Carts Unlimited.

I particularly found interesting the information that scottyb has on his site regarding the Alltrax controller and the new capability of Shift-on-the-fly which allows you to save programs and then switch on the move between speed priority and torque priority. http://www.cartsunlimited.net/shift-on-the-fly.html
Get you a PQ Bandit for 225
Bigchief803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:28 PM   #20
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Master View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but when you say heavy loads, what does that mean in laymen terms?

Also I did a little reading up on that Alltrax and in some places it says all of them require a HD solenoid upgrade.

For me this might be the perfect solution. I need the torque mostly, but would like to go beyond 15mph (code 3) at times. Like the regen part of the IQ system also. Got a few hills to deal with.
Lots of hills, heavy loads on the cart, pulling trailers, etc....... Under normal driving conditions, a solenoid upgrade is not required with a 300amp XCT.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car