lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2017, 10:39 PM   #1
reds1654
Not Yet Wild

Default 05 Precedent Won't Move

Hi -

I have a 2005 Precedent 48V, owned the cart for about 4 years and the batteries were on their last leg this summer, could not get very far on them, but was trying to put off replacing them.

About a month ago, the cart quit working. I assumed the batteries had finally given up and started researching replacements. I ordered US Batteries 4x12v for and installed them last week, but the cart wont run. Did some research on other threads on the forum and I think it may be a solenoid issue.

When I press the accelerator, the cart won't move at all, but the solenoid is clicking most of the time, although it sometimes it won't click. Pack voltage is adequate. I did a little testing today to try to troubleshoot the solenoid and it was generally inconclusive.

When jumping the solenoid, is there any additional safety issues I should be aware of? I see posts that say this can be done with 6ga wire or even a screwdriver - is there any risk of shock?

I think it's likely a bad solenoid, any other opinions out there before I order a new one?

Thanks!
reds1654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2017, 10:00 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 05 Precedent Won't Move

If you are just jumping across the larger terminals, just get an appropriate gauge wire to handle the current. You are only doing this momentarily so it does not need more than 6 or 8 gauge. And remember, jack the cart up so the wheels are of the ground and try to install a switch in your jumper to prevent arching and general safety purposes.

If after you jump it and if it does work, then either the solenoid is bad or you are not getting the + & - at the two small contacts. You can check that with your meter.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #3
reds1654
Not Yet Wild

I tried replacing the solenoid and now I get nothing... no clicking at all. Any thoughts? I'm in the process of doing some other testing when I have some time. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Put the FNR switch in reverse, if You don't hear the buzzer the OBC is in lockout mode.

If the buzzer works, jump the 2-pin connector on the MCOR harness.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:42 PM   #5
reds1654
Not Yet Wild

Thanks

When I put the FNR in reverse, there is no buzzer. How do I get the OBC out of lockout mode? I tried doing the reset procedure, but couldn't get the buzzer to sound when I tried that, so assumed it didn't work.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:06 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There is no buzzer sound on reset for Sepex carts like the Precedent.

The way you know the OBC reset is the first time You go to drive the battery warning light will come ON.

Plug the charger IN and see if it works, if it does, unplug the charger and test the cart in reverse again.

If the reverse buzzer now works, the problem is definitely the MCOR micro-switch.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:53 PM   #7
reds1654
Not Yet Wild

Ok - I plugged the charger in tonight and it kicked on and charged for about a minute and stopped, so I unplugged the charger and flipped the F&R and got a buzzer sound. Went to forward and tried to drive the cart, solenoid is clicking now but the cart won't move, so it sounds like I may be back to square one.

Is there any easy way to test the MCOR? Any possibility it is the controller?

Should also mention that the solenoid probably clicked 9 of 10 times when I pushed the accelerator... Any reason why it wouldn't click every time?

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2017, 06:17 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The MCOR connectors (a 3-pin and a 2-pin) are located inside an access compartment located under the floor mat.

You need to disconnect the 2-pin connector and use a large paper clip or a piece of wire to connect the 2 pins together.

Put some electrical tape around it to isolate the connection.

When the OBC is in Controller lockout mode the buzzer will not sound.

When the OBC is reset or goes to sleep as a result of the cart being OFF and unplugged from the charger for over 3 days, it also enters lockout mode.

The 2 ways to get the OBC out of lockout are:
1 - Plug the charger and let a cycle start.
2 - Press the pedal which sends a +48v signal to wake up the OBC.
Since plugging the charger got the OBC out of lockout but the pedal did not, the best conclusion is that the micro-switch inside the MCOR is not closing.

If the jumper above fixes the problem, get a new MCOR from RevolutionGolfCars.com as there are cheap versions on the market that do not last long.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:19 AM   #9
reds1654
Not Yet Wild

Thanks - do I need to have the cart jacked up before I jump the 2-pin? (Will it take off as soon as I turn key, or will it only go if accelerator is depressed?) I found the MCOR last night, just need to find some time later this morning to test this.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:08 AM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The Precedent has 2 levels of safety on the MCOR before the Controller will activate the Solenoid, the first is the micro-switch needs to be closed, the second is the pedal signal has to be above a certain level.

When You by-pass the micro-switch, You eliminated one of the safeties, but if the MCOR signal is good, You will not notice any difference in driving.

If that is the issue, You can drive the cart that way (2-pin jumped) until You get the new MCOR, just turn the Key switch OFF when you stop and walk away from the cart .
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car