lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2017, 08:44 PM   #1
clueless1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default IQ intermittent Go/No go/Go slow

IQ cart ( converted from a Regan II about six years ago) recently started intermittent go sometimes, no go sometimes. Sometime she's cruising along then she just slows right down to virtually nothing. ( virtually no power. Sometimes just for a bit then she runs right again then nothing, Checked the charge and connections all seems good. Some times nothing at all when accelerator is depressed other times works great for a bit. Sometimes after a full charge she won't go sometimes she will. Today she worked for a bit then when I got back on ...nope! I noticed the solenoid click a few times without accelerator depressed. Felt the top of it (Solenoid) and noticed the diode was quite warm...mildly hot. The computer, controller ( Altrax DCX400) motor
(Advance Motors & Drives GGO-4001), solenoid,resistor & diode were all replaced six years ago. I'm certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to diagnosing electrical/electronic problems. Only tool I have for such diagnostics is a multi meter with my limited knowledge. Suggestions or insights? Any thing would be helpful. I'm about ready to grab the shotgun and put her down.
clueless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2017, 09:39 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: IQ intermittent Go/No go/Go slow

Lo! Don't do that yet.

It really sounds like one of two things that I would focus on first. !- The speed sensor could be going out. 2- The motor is starting to go...
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:48 AM   #3
clueless1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks NoleFan4Ever, I considered the motor on of the components that might be the problem. The motors speed sensor is not utilized; it is not plugged in. It was suggested when I converted to IQ not to use it on this motor. Would I be able to tell if the motor is fried by takeing it off and looking inside rather than testing with electrical equipment? I am much better at takeing things apart and reassembling than electrical testing. Would the motor smell burnt inside or have other signs? She hasn't moved since Monday so it seems we are at another level of Oh Crap! There's really not anyone around that I know of that is qualified i can take it to, to diagnose the problem. The motor is a high speed motor that is turned all the way down with the controller because it would peel your eyelids back and I didn't want my kid rolling it and killing himself. Any more insight would be helpful. Thanks!!
Old 08-24-2017, 09:00 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

You could remove it and look for visual damage, but I like to test them too. It is nice if you can megger it but if you pull it apart just visually inspect it for damage. You can also check for continuity across the fields but you must have that or it would not work at all.

If you want to test it why it out then connect a jumper from A1 to F1 and a jumper from A2 to F2 and then connect 12 or 24 volts, positive to A1/F1 and negative to A2/F2. Swap F1 and F2 to change rotation direction. REMEMBER: Allowing a motor to spin at high RPM can cause catastrophic failures......
Old 08-25-2017, 06:04 AM   #5
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
You could remove it and look for visual damage, but I like to test them too. It is nice if you can megger it but if you pull it apart just visually inspect it for damage. You can also check for continuity across the fields but you must have that or it would not work at all.

If you want to test it why it out then connect a jumper from A1 to F1 and a jumper from A2 to F2 and then connect 12 or 24 volts, positive to A1/F1 and negative to A2/F2. Swap F1 and F2 to change rotation direction. REMEMBER: Allowing a motor to spin at high RPM can cause catastrophic failures......
Don't get confused about testing the motor running. The motor MUST be mounted in cart to do a run test. Remember one end is not supported when it is out of cart.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Oh yes, good point. (I have a motor strap on my bench I use to hold them down....)
Old 08-25-2017, 12:59 PM   #7
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Incorrect statement.

Last edited by PingEye3; 08-25-2017 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: Incorrect statement.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:45 AM   #8
clueless1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey guys Thank You for taking the time to reply with your suggestions. Sorry I didn't respond promptly; I missed the notification in my email somehow and came down with a wicked cold. Once i'm not sneezing, hacking and sleeping i'll give her a shot with your tests and see what turns up. I don't know if it will show anything though as shes working fine again. Seems I always get blesses with intermittent problems. I call them head scratching puzzlers. Thanks again for your input guys;...you really are appreciated!

Last edited by clueless1; 08-29-2017 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: missspeelled
Old 09-11-2017, 06:38 AM   #9
clueless1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey Guys, once again thanks! I got reading others posts and saw a couple things that led me to consider the MCOR. I ordered one ,put it in and violla, runs like a charm. In fact I think it runs better than it ever has. (Smoother acceleration than ever). Makes me wonder if the original one I put in when I converted it to an IQ was faulty!?!? Thanks again ...Brent

Tags
tahoedawgz71
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car