lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2017, 11:17 PM   #1
Dlab
Gone Wild

Default Alltrax SR 500 Question/issue

Background: 2002 DS/coil rig converted to solid state with Super Duty contactor Alltrax 500 amp, and 2gauge cables......

Never an issue over the last few months, but decided to use the cart to drag foodplots last weekend. I know I was pushing it, but it did fine for am hour pulling the drag, and hauling 200lbs of seed. On 2 occasions it stalled/lost power, so I let it sit. The fan on the controller only runs when the pedal is depressed in neutral? So I'd put a bag of seed on the pedal to let the fan run. Once it cut off it would run fine. Even at 60% charge after the full day it still ran top speed.

Question is, does the SR have a shutoff mode if it gets hot? Do I have something wired wrong? I'd like the fan to run continuously without the pedal depressed if possible, when nessisssry.

I checked all components with a temp gun both times. Motor was 175, all cables/connections 98, controller was 98/105 at connections.

Nothing showed it was rubbing hot
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2017, 06:10 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Alltrax SR 500 Question/issue

You can disconnect the the KSI red wire from Controller J1 and run a new wire from the J1 red terminal directly to the key switch.

That way the controller and fan get power as soon as the key switch is ON, but the cart will not run until the pedal is pressed and the FNR is not in neutral.

If You want that to be an option, just use a SPDT toggle switch with the center connected to Controller J1, one side to the existing red wire and the other side directly from the key switch.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:56 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You are asking too much of the cart. The motor will fail. Extended slow operation towing dead weight causes excessive amperage draw. Lower pack voltage increases amperage draw. The motor will draw more amperage than it can effectively turn into motion. The excess amperage is converted into heat which will eventually melt the resin that holds the armature together.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:27 PM   #4
Dlab
Gone Wild

Well it did it again today while in the woods with the wife and kid. Put it in neutral and hold the pedal down til the fan kicks off then good to go. I got a high torque motor, 2gauge, and 500 amp controller thinking this was what I needed to tool around in the woods.......problem is it's too fast to run it WOT all the time, and it obviously doesn't like half throttle.......

Guess I need a slower motor for my application
Old 10-09-2017, 09:22 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Motors that make high speeds are very inefficient at low speed, the excess amperage they draw in a high torque situation is converted to heat which may have already damaged your motor (dragging feed plots)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:59 PM   #6
Dlab
Gone Wild

The motor never exceeded 175 degrees. All the cables, including those directly to the controller were under 100 degrees. There's another issue here, just can't put my finger on it.

BTW. The cart,controller, motor ran fine for almost an hour wide open the last few days around the house.

The motor is an AMD Beast torque motor. I'll be open to a different motor for hunting if anyone has any suggestions. But deffinately keeping this one for play.

Ideally 12mph tops seems to be the speed while in the woods
Old 10-11-2017, 11:19 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

If that is the 7114 motor then you have the best motor for your application. That is a 11.4hp 2300 rpm High Torque motor and is actually designed for slower high torque applications. There are several of them on my club and they do not pull drags or equipment, but they do haul feed and people all the time over rivers and through the woods (to grandmother's house we go....) with no problems.

Since it sounds like you have the correct setup, I would call Alltrax Tech Support and speak to a professional and see if this is just overtaxing the controller or if they have another idea.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car