lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2017, 08:17 PM   #1
Hawk77
Not Yet Wild

Default 1989 club car is very under powered

I recently bought a 1989 Club Car 36volt with a lift. Got it home and it would jerk when you first step on the pedal. Nothing else seemed out of the ordinary. I took it to a local shop where they replaced the v-glide. When I got it back, the start up was very smooth but it has no low end torque and the top speed seems little slower than it should be. The batteries tested borderline weak so I replaced them with new Trojan 105s. This did not seem to help the power issue. When I go in reverse it is ok on the driveway but completely dies when I get into the grass. All the wiring looks to be in good shape but this is my first cart and I am learning g as I go. Any help anyone can offer as to what the issue can be or what I should look for would be appreciate.
Hawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2017, 08:59 PM   #2
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1989 club car is very under powered

How big are the tires? The previous owner might have raised the effective gearing past the capacity of the motor.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:56 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I think you may have more than one issue here. But first, open the v-glide and make sure the wiper arm is going all the way up when you press the go pedal. For safety and other reasons unhook the main + and - from battery pack before you do this.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:18 PM   #4
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Yeah like mooncarter said make sure the arm tops out. These carts were only meant to go 12-13 mph anyway so. It would be strange if they installed a new v glide for you though and did not make sure the arm is traveling all the way up
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:27 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaguy97 View Post
Yeah like mooncarter said make sure the arm tops out. These carts were only meant to go 12-13 mph anyway so. It would be strange if they installed a new v glide for you though and did not make sure the arm is traveling all the way up
Would also not be unheard of. If a few blades of grass are stopping this cart (golf cart/grass/fairway) with new batteries something is way out of whack. I would start there that's all.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:30 PM   #6
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Your right. And I’ve also seen carts not getting to top speed because the mechanic did not secure the v glide good enough with lock nuts and every time you push the pedal the v glide twists and only allows the arm to travel half way (and gets stuck like that and causes them to crash)
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:02 PM   #7
Hawk77
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the advice. I will check it out this weekend and get back on here and let you all know.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:34 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk77 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I will check it out this weekend and get back on here and let you all know.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:55 AM   #9
Hawk77
Not Yet Wild

Update. The V-glide wiper arm was not hitting the top post or pad . I adjusted the throttle arm and now it will hit the top post but it is adjusted too far so that when the cart is put in to forward or reverse it is constantly moving. There is not happy medium with the wiper arm. When it is adjusted so that the cart does not move until you press on the throttle it will not hit the top V-glide connection. Can I move the cable from the top post down one spot and double it up with the one below it or will that screw something up? Also this did not totally solve the power issue. It is a little better but still performs poorly in the grass. Any thoughts?
Old 10-28-2017, 04:37 PM   #10
migo
Not Yet Wild

is it worth to remove the v glide and resistors and replace them with a controller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
migo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
36 volt, club car 1989, low power
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car