lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
johnw1832
Not Yet Wild

Default aftermarket lights wiring

just bought a used cart, EZGO '95, with aftermarket lights. Lights used to work (I know for sure). Wiring is a "surprise" to me. Rocker switch has feed from Neg. battery terminal, feed from Pos. battery terminal (total 12v), and one other wire that appears to go to the lights. There is power to the switch (it lights up when turned "on"). Seems to me, the switch should simply interrupt the neg. feed, not have a Pos. feed to it. Do not see a fuse downstream from the switch. Anyway, lights do not work and I an not familiar with this type of wiring. Can someone help me troubleshoot? Thanks
johnw1832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Default Re: aftermarket lights wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw1832 View Post
just bought a used cart, EZGO '95, with aftermarket lights. Lights used to work (I know for sure). Wiring is a "surprise" to me. Rocker switch has feed from Neg. battery terminal, feed from Pos. battery terminal (total 12v), and one other wire that appears to go to the lights. There is power to the switch (it lights up when turned "on"). Seems to me, the switch should simply interrupt the neg. feed, not have a Pos. feed to it. Do not see a fuse downstream from the switch. Anyway, lights do not work and I an not familiar with this type of wiring. Can someone help me troubleshoot? Thanks
The Rocker you have appears to be an automotive rocker with integral LED.

The ground (return) is used for the LED only. The 12V center terminal of the switch input should be +12v and the last terminal should be the switched output.

Some aftermarket lighting kits have a relay. Do you have one? If not, and you verify that the switch is outputting +12v and it is indeed going to the lights (as you said and not a relay) and the lights don't work you have two possibilites: the bulbs are out or the ground wire at the lights is loose/not connected.

My guess is that you have a relay someplace.....
todo_brane_ded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
johnw1832
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: aftermarket lights wiring

Thanks for the quick response - I'll check it out! There may be a relay in the circuit somewhere that I missed. Got confused (and hung up on) the third switch connection! John
johnw1832 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO