lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
carson398
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1991 ezgo marathon wont go

I have a 91 ezgo marathon that has started messing up when I installed new batteries. It will go real fast then drop off to nothing and not move. Has anyone had the same problem or does anyone have any suggestions. Please help we cant afford to go a new cart right now. Thanks to all who post.
carson398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1991 ezgo marathon wont go

Did you wire the batteries properly?Positive to Negative.Also are all the batts. charged fully?Just some thoughts,Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: 1991 ezgo marathon wont go

Some suggeations.
Check the pot box wiring. Two small wires to controller. Check all the connections for tightness on the F/R switch. If you put new batteries in it make sure they are fully charged. You can also do a OHM's check on the pot box wires also. Should read 0 at stop and increase to around 5K when you press the gas pedal down. This is done with the 2 wires disconnected from the controller.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

First things first 'Goes real fast' sounds like everything is connected right... 'then drops off' sounds like a bad battery? It does happen. Check voltage, what do you have? Can you tape or otherwise connect the meter to the battery pack and take a test drive......?
That's what I would do. Tell us what the voltage does when the performance drops off.

Good Luck
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
carson398
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I took out an older set of trojan batteries, it worked fine with those. I have checked each of the batteries. They all test good under load. I am going to leave it charge all night and see what happens. I hope the controller has not gone bad.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #6
wilsontc81
Not Yet Wild

Ok, is your cart a resistor coil cart or have you upgraded it? If it is the coil, check the coils. Could be one is bad/overheating.

When it stops, can you turn it off and go again? If not, somethings over heating. Solenoid, microswitches, something!
wilsontc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
carson398
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

just took it out and it flew the first few minutes. then I stoped and come back down the road it started going really slow and barely made it back. the batteries have 38.9 volts across them. I am at a loss.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
wilsontc81
Not Yet Wild

Solenoid! going bad.
wilsontc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
First things first 'Goes real fast' sounds like everything is connected right... 'then drops off' sounds like a bad battery? It does happen. Check voltage, what do you have? Can you tape or otherwise connect the meter to the battery pack and take a test drive......?
That's what I would do. Tell us what the voltage does when the performance drops off.

Good Luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by carson398 View Post
just took it out and it flew the first few minutes. then I stoped and come back down the road it started going really slow and barely made it back. the batteries have 38.9 volts across them. I am at a loss.
Is this the battery reading while you were driving the cart, under a load and slowing down, as Scottyb asked you to do?
todo_brane_ded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i,m confused as to why its working fine with the older batteries back in it if thats the case its not a controller issue or a soleniod issue or anything other than a bad battery somewhere...............even a battery tested under load can be bad so if in fact the cart is running normal with your older batteries take your new set back and get another set.......think about it one set it runs fine the other set it acts up..........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO