lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
campingshadow
Not Yet Wild

Question Understanding charger amp readings

I am a female senior citizen manager of an RV park and was just given a used 1990's model EZGO golf cart by the owner along with an EZGO Textron Charger. I know nothing about these chargers other than to plug them in. I have no idea if I am fully charging the cart or not. The charger has a Start dial with numbers 1-11 on the left and then a dial with AMPS readings on the right going from 0 to 30 with the 20-30 range being in the red zone. This charger is a 36V LR69689.

When I plug in the charger it usually goes to 15 amps. To charge it I have been turning the dial to about 6... I am assuming that is 6 hours and gives a slower charge than 2 or 3 but a faster charge than 10 or 11? But I do not know how to tell if it is charged properly or not. Or what the amps should be when it is low or fully charged?

I have searched the net high and low for a simple explanation of how to read and understand this charger and have not found anything. Any help would be much appreciated. I know enough to maintain the batteries. That is the extent of my mechanical knowledge.

In simple terms....what should the amps be if the batteries are low or fully charged and what setting should I be using to charge the batteries?
campingshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Understanding charger amp readings

I have the same charger.
With the charger plugged into the wall, turn the timer dial all the way counter-clockwise to the off position. Now plug the other cord into the cart's charge receptacle. You should hear a click from the charger. Now turn the timer all the way clockwise to the start position. Charging should start and the amp meter needle should go to about 18-20 amps. The charger will charge the batteries completely and will automatically shut off when finished. The amp meter will slowly decrease to between 1-3 amps as the batteries reach full charge. The timer will stop when the charger shuts off indicating the how many hours it took to the charge the batteries. This is for info only but can help with trouble shooting if it ever becomes necessary. Charging will normally take about 6-10 hours depending on age of the batteries and how much you used it since the last charge.

Rule of thumb: When you are through with the cart for the day, put it on the charger and let it do it's thing. Golf cart batteries do not like to sit around partially charged. Always let the charger completely charge the batteries if possible.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
campingshadow
Not Yet Wild

Talking Re: Understanding charger amp readings

Kernal.....Thank you so much. Boy was I doing things wrong. No wonder the darn cart had no power and seemed to run down so much. I was not charging it properly at all.

I sure appreciate you giving me such clear and concise directions. I have it charging now and it has been going about 7 hours and is just now down in the 5 amp range. Can't wait to see how it runs when it is fully charged. Then it will be interesting to see how long it will hold the charge. Hopefully the batteries are ok.

I think I am going to enjoy it a lot more now. Thanks again. You are SUPER!!!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
EZGO-MY-WALLET2
Gone Wild

glad you checked us out cs and anything you need to know is right here. Good luck with the cart and hope it works out well for you and you get "hooked" just as the rest of us have. High 5 kernal.
EZGO-MY-WALLET2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
campingshadow
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the come back EZ-GO. I charged the cart the correct way but still it could barely make it thru part of the day after a full charge. I was told when it was given to me that it had all been checked out and just get in it and go. When the charge would not hold, I checked all the batteries. EVERY one of them was low. Had to add the distilled water to all of them. Took 2 1/2 gallons of water to do the job. Now just have to hope they were not run too dry.

Yeesh....5 different guys had their hands on this cart before I got it and not one of them checked the batteries nor figured out how to charge it. And every one of them is younger (and presumably smarter) than me!!! Go figure!!!

Gotta say tho, I love the cart and my little dog loves traveling with me. Happy girl sitting in the seat and checking out all the surroundings. With 100 degree heat in Texas - riding in the cart is much preferable to walking around the park!!!!
Old 09-07-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
as350pilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like it may need new batteries....
as350pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

It may improve some with a few good cycles?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Put a volt meter on the main positive and main negative of the battery pack. These are the ones that are connected to the back side of the charger port.
Monitor the voltage during a charge cycle and especially towards the end of the cycle when amps should be less than 5. You're looking for a voltage reading of around 44-46 volts at that point.

After charging completes wait over night and then check the voltage of the pack and each individual battery and look for any significant variances in individual battery voltages and you should have close to 38v +/- on the pack.

Good luck...
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #9
campingshadow
Not Yet Wild

pggroves....I am going to print this out and give it to our maintenance man to check out. I charged everything overnight after adding the water to the batteries. It charged for the full 11 hours and this morning the reading was right at 1 amp. I used the cart twice and the entire charge is gone. The meter is showing it right back at the 20 amp line. Now it is charging again.

I am afraid that whomever they bought this cart from let all the batteries run dry and now the owners are not going to be wanting to spend another $500+ on all new batteries. That will be the end of my joy rides around the park.

First however, I will see if I can get my guy to run the tests you have described. I sure hope we can isolate the issue. And not have it be too costly.

Thanks so much for all the wonderful feedback and suggestions. You gentlemen are the greatest!!!!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
campingshadow
Not Yet Wild

I am sure one or two of you might have wondered at the outcome of my battery issues. Sure wish I could give you and answer. (: Took forever to get the maintenance man to check things out. Discovered first that ALL 6 batteries were low on water. Fixed that. Properly charged them and the charge lasted about 3 laps around the park. (maybe 4 square acres). From then on it was charge multiple times a day. Kept bugging the maint guy and finally got him to check things again. All 6 batteries are again low on water.

So now we are trying to do a full refurbish on all the batteries and see if that helps. We are also noticing that it is very hard to seat the charging plug in the receptacle so it sits securely and charges. The prongs in the plug appear to be uneven in the housing...one farther to the edge than the other. We are thinking this could be part of the problem. It appears this cart is an 85 Marathon, not a 90's model like I thoght.. Now my maintenance guy is asking me to find a wiring diagram or picture of how the charging plug and receptacle on the EZGO Textron Charger are supposed to look so we can see if ours is off. I have looked around the net but have not yet found one and do not want to pay $65 for a manual for something I do not even own. Anyone have any clues where I can find such a drawing or info on how they are supposed to connect?

Someday we might actually get this thing to hold a charge for more than 1 or 2 trips round the park. I sure would be grateful for any help I can get.

Tags
charger, ezgo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO