lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
bond007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 97 Series Ezgo TXT 48v conv ITS: throttle jumps to wide open

My ITS speed control went to nil, lurched wide open some at first, then all the time. Drove it for awhile, it died totally. Troubleshooting pointed at ITS pickup coil, replaced it, still dead. Troubleshooting with Alltrax revealed the HD 48v solenoid was bad, replaced it, still jumps to wide open.

I have the programming of the Axe set to throttle up slow but it still obviously jumps and runs as soon as the pedal/solenoid clicks....I need speed control.....and I think whatever this is is going to fry the new solenoid if I don't find out what it is.

Anyone???
bond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 97 Series Ezgo TXT 48v conv ITS: throttle jumps to wide open

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond007 View Post
.....Troubleshooting with Alltrax revealed the HD 48v solenoid was bad, replaced it, still jumps to wide open.............
Sounds like it is time to get back on the phone with Alltrax.

The Solenoid is simply a high current on/off switch, it either connects the battery to the Controller or it doesn't.
The Motor will convert all the amps you can throw at it into mechanical motion, or at least it will until it self destructs.
The Controller limits the amount of current going to the motor.
The Throttle tells the Controller how much to limit the current.

A defective Throttle could tell the Controller to send all the available amps to the motor the instant it was depressed, but the Controller is programmed to ramp up to max over a period of time, so it wouldn't be sending max amps to the Motor instantly and eating up Solenoids.

My guess is that a defective PWM circuit in the controller is telling the MOSFETs to conduct continuously. Therefore, max amps are being sent to the Motor the moment the micro-switch in the ITS Box tells the Solenoid to close.

Of course, I might be wrong.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
bond007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I read on here about a similar episode where it was related to ITS plunger adjustment; I need to try that and see if it makes a difference. It tore up 6 mos ago and I might have even tried to adjust it then trying to find the problem....I can't remember....what's my name again?lol

They say alcohol destroys brain cells.....I might be a test subject...lol.

I'll try the adjust and check voltages this afternoon...if I can remember to...
Old 09-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
bond007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I tested the ITS voltages, is good; and adjusted the ITS plunger. Still jumps to wide open at start. I reprogrammed the controller, got the amp output down so it doesn't rip something else out for the time being.

I guess all that is left is the controller being bad huh? Is there anything else that would cause it to throw full power at start? I've got one speed.....wide open....literally.

One curious thing I found was the 4 wire connector....when I had the pedal on and wiggled the wiring/connector area the controller would flash red briefly; the rest of the time always green. I cut out the connector, crimped on new female blades, and could not make it duplicate the red flash on the controller.

Maybe I had a periodic bad connection and fried something in the controller?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Which throttle input is the controller programmed to?

Are you 100% certain?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
bond007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't know enough about the motor (stock series) to know if it could possibly be that. Everything else tests out ok....it was doing that for awhile before the solenoid went down. The ITS pickup was replaced so it's definitely not that.

I programmed to inductive setting I think....the steady flat uphill line; and I set throttle up really low on 2, so it is not a bad kick starting off. I'm just not able to ease around, it's full speed all the time after starting off.

Alltrax says they do not repair controllers. I thought about pulling the controller and taking it to an electronic shop for testing. Does anyone have any idea what component(s) regulates the amperage? What to look for?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

The throttle INPUT is NOT the same as the throttle RAMP. There is a drop down menu in the software that allows you to select the type of throttle signal the cart is producing:

0-5k
5k-0
ITS
etc.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
bond007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

It was originally programmed as EzGo ITS and detects that each time I change controller setting.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Good, that eliminates a variable.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #10
athomas03
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You say you adjusted the ITS plunger. I think the manual says leave a gap about the width of a 3/16" bit between plunger and ITS throttle sensor. I know I've played with mine before I knew it had to be in this starting position and got some jerky acceleration as well as the microswitch engages and disengages at the wrong time. Other than that, I would recheck all wiring and make sure nothing is missed wired?????
athomas03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
48v conversion, speed control, throttle
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO