lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
Santiago
Not Yet Wild

Default Can you turn a 110v 60hz powersie into 220v 50??

Hi! New here with a charger question.

Is there any way to make my powerwise 36v EZGO charger (2007 & 2008 carts) into a 220v and 50hz. I have four chargers than will need to take to Argentina, but since the voltage is different in Latin America I dont know if there is any way i can use them, or do i need to buy another charger.

Many thanks in advance!
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Can you turn a 110v 60hz powersie into 220v 50??

I'd check with EZGO or Lester to be be sure, but my guess is NO, it's not gonna work.

The charger uses a Ferroresonant Transformer circuit to regulate the charge current, so it is Line Frequency sensitive and going from 60Hz down to 50Hz is going to change the amount of charging current. Which way, I'm not sure off the top of my head, but it will change.

Maybe all it will take is changing the big Capacitor that is connected across one set of windings on the transformer (the other half of the Ferroresonant circuit) and a 220 to 110 stepdown transformer.

FWIW: I spent some time in Mendoza back in the late 60's as well as a few other South and Central American countries. Beautiful scenery in general, but a little strange here and there.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would advise you to sell your chargers here before you go! It would be better for you to get ones already set up for the current and phase of the country you're moving to. Small electrical items can use converters, but something like a battery charger would be cost prohibitive to convert. You shouldn't have any problem selling your chargers here, but I would inquire about the availability of chargers where you are going in Argentina. A lot of European countries also use 220V - 50Hz.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #4
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You can buy new from EZ-GO, but you are looking at 700.00 to 800.00 dollars each. I agree with finding a source in Argentina, perhaps a used cart with charger for cheap. The real question is why do you need to bring 4 chargers to Argentina?? Does someone need chargers and they cant find them there?? I would think that the conversion could be done, but I'm not sure of the cost of the conversion or shipping. At 220 and 50hz I would think that the transformer would handle the load, but you would need a modified control board to regulate the amperage properly.

Last edited by arcitech; 10-06-2011 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: add word
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
Santiago
Not Yet Wild

The four cars are going to a golf course in Argentina, I have them with US chargers, but was hoping to use the same chargers for as cheap as possible, altough it seems to be harder than what i tought it would be.

Eveything in Argentina is way more expensive because of taxes, sometimes more than double the price than the US, so buying there is the last option.,
Old 10-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Back in the good old days manufacturers would wind their transformers with taps for 240 (UK) 220 (Europe) and 110 (USA) this way they could use one transformer for several markets. It won't hurt just to open the back and see if there is a block in there.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you are shipping stuff anyway, a decent diesel generator that produces 60Hz will be able to charge 2 or more of carts at a time. I say diesel because the fuel is universally available and the generators usually have beefier parts to handle the torque and power output that is needed.
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You can buy the correct chargers for under half of the cost posted above before you go...
Some of today's micro processing chargers can sense which voltage the unit is connected to and are compatible with either voltage.... it's a worldwide market these days.
If you need pricing just PM me with your zip code and the cart voltage you need to match & the quantity needed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
Santiago
Not Yet Wild

So it seems the best option is to sell my 110 chargers and buy some universal ones.

The Powerwise QE its 100/240 so taht will do, it looks nice since its lightweight, anuthing bad about it??

How much can I get for my Lester powerwise chargers?? Is ebay the best way to sell this??

Thanks!

Tags
lester powerwise
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO