lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #21
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ultimate 36 to 48 volt conversion EZ - Go

I gotcha, hard to tell from the photo.

Just a thought...You said it is squirley and you are at the edge of controll, how's your alighnment/toe in? Mine was all over the road at only 21 MPH (serious pucker factor), come to find out, my front end alighment was all screwed up after I did the lift kit/wheels, etc... Once I got it properly adjusted, she is stable as can be at 22 MPH with almost no bump steer and corners MUCH better.

(Sorry for the hijak, Tonto)

From what I understand, you should not have a problem with heat building at slow speeds with the Alltrax controller.
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #22
twp5253
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

+more on the EMP 2 speed motor. Chuck is a genius and he recently talked me into his biggest and baddest motor, the "LIMO" motor. Ezgo makes this motor extra large for the Limo carts and this motor has extra "Thermal Capability" and is something Chuck really likes. Now, I did have to relocate the bottom shock mount...I simply made a bracket to move it over 1 inch. As for a controller, I wish I had gone bigger as I only have the Alltrax 400 amp and I have a 5 W/R solenoids to do all the F/R and Speed/Torque switching. The Albright SW202 reversing contactors would have been a better choice and Alltrax also makes a SPST solenoid for the main power. These solenoids, coupled with an Alltrax 650amp controller....get the newer SPM unit, will give you over 100ft lbs of torque. My cart does wheelies when I am pulling my three seat jet skis out of the water! Oh, and the hi speed function gives me an additional 5mph! Best of both worlds. Thanks EMP!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1stBigWheel.JPG (53.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2107.jpg (228.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg LimoMotorMaxSpeed.jpg (108.3 KB, 21 views)
twp5253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #23
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltf1991 View Post
Johnnie where are you.......come out come out wherever you are
So many questions, so little time. I just got around to reading thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopdog39702 View Post
.............The way I understand it, the faster you run the motor, the less field resistance,and it runs cooler. Hope the others can chirp in, cause I'm sure I'm not explaining it in the best technical terms!
Right end result, wrong reason for it. (You get more field resistance, not less)

Without going too deep into motor theory, let's just say that a magnetic field is generated when a current is passed through the armature and stator of a motor and an electromotive force (EMF) is generated when a armature is spun in a magnetic field or a moving magnetic field passes through a stator and all of these conditions are happening simultaneously when a motor is spinning. The polarity of EMF generated is opposite the polarity of the EMF used to generate the magnetic field.

The more current that flows through the motor, the faster it turns and the faster it turns, the greater the "Back EMF" generated, which in turn reduces the amount of current flowing through the motor. Basically, the faster a motor turns, the greater the Back-EMF or dynamic resistance.

If attached to an unlimited source of current, the motor will accelerate until the Back-EMF approximates the voltage of the current source. If the physical load on the motor increases, it slows down, which reduces Back-EMF allowing it to draw more current, which speeds it up until a new equilibrium is established.

This is why series motors don't have much, if any, speed gain just by increasing ampacity of the, cables, F/R switch, solenoid and controller. You'll get more torque and reach the max RPM for the applied voltage quicker, but gotta increase the voltage to get more RPM.

This is also why, stalled motors draw all available amps and why running motors at slow speeds (IE: the controller limiting the current flow through them) causes them to heat up more.

The same thing happens with Sepex motors, but both the amount of current passing through the armature and the strength of the magnetic field generated by the field (stator) windings can be varied, so they behave a little differently.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #24
shopdog39702
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Yeah,What he said!!!
shopdog39702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO