lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
LBlanks
Not Yet Wild

Default Just Installed New Batteries - What do I need to do Next?

I have a 2005 EZGO electric with PDS and I just installed 6 new Excide batteries.
I set the toggle switch to "Tow" during the exchange and have installed new cables.
Question is, now what do I do to make sure I don't screw something up?

Should I switch the toggle back, then change the new batteries?

Thanks for any help.

Larry

Last edited by LBlanks; 11-19-2011 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: Added Info
LBlanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Just Installed New Batteries - What Next?

Your question shows Just how smart you are
I always like to test the pack voltage before I switch to run. This will let you know if everything is connected correctly.
You can also test the voltage in the charger port before you plug the charger in to see that the charger wires are connected correctly .... definitely charge before use.....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
LBlanks
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Just Installed New Batteries - What do I need to do Next?

Hi Scotty and thanks for the compliment and guidelines....

I took digital photos of the cable arrangements prior to making the change, and am 99.999% sure all connections are correct.

I'll put a meter on the charging port and make sure the pack voltage is there, then charge the batteries.

I'm still not certain when to switch the toggle, before or after I charge.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBlanks View Post
Hi Scotty and thanks for the compliment and guidelines....

I took digital photos of the cable arrangements prior to making the change, and am 99.999% sure all connections are correct.

I'll put a meter on the charging port and make sure the pack voltage is there, then charge the batteries.

I'm still not certain when to switch the toggle, before or after I charge.

Thanks
Once you confirm pack voltage is between 35-37v = new batteries are connected correctly, then you can flip the Tow switch to run and check forward and backward movement ( 2-6 ft) This is a check not a test drive.
Then charge until the charger shuts off. test and note the voltage and away you go!
Enjoy the cart.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
LBlanks
Not Yet Wild

Thanks again... I don't have a voltage meter on the unit. How difficult are they to install? Any cutting on the dash? Additional wiring I suppose.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

You don't need a meter to test the voltage, although this will help you take care of your batteries. Ask Scotty, he makes them that fit right in the key switch plate. Take a voltage meter and put one end on the main positive and one on the main negative, and if it read around 36 volts it is good. Don't flip the switch back on until everything is all wired up.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Digita...ry_Meters.html
Legendary Golf Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

ok, just to clarify, you don't need the meter included in the link to test the voltage. You use a multimeter and touch the positive end to the main positive on thee battery and the negative end on the pack main negative. you can get one at harbor freight for $5 if you don't have one.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
LBlanks
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, Yes, I have a multimeter and have tested the DC voltage... I was curious how difficult it was to install a permanent VM into the dash and wiring it up.

Larry
Old 11-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Larry, it's not hard at all = a little old lady did it last week

Look at your key switch plate and you'll see two black push rivets in the bottom corners of the plate. You simply use a 8D type common nail to punch the center in on the plastic rivet and then pull the plate off. Unscrew the ignition and attach it and the meter and the F&R to the new switch plate and install with the new push rivets.... the end result looks like the plate in my current signature. Directions, illustrations, & wiring diagram is included .
Old 11-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

Don't you have them in different finishes also? Also, read all of the pages on scottys site about batteries, this will help your batteries last as long as they can and be as strong as possible. I have 2010 batteries that are taken care of properly. A good voltage reading is 6.3-6.4 volts. mine read about 6.5 volts. that just shows how much maintenance matters.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO