lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #11
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Brush guard and Winch that bends it

It doesn't look like it will help you much, as your guard is a world apart from mine. for what it's worth this was my load-bearing solution. It's a pair of Heim joints with a chunk of "all-thread" connecting them.

kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #12
Davemuzz
Getting Wild

KGSC First off....I have to tell you that my wife is a 5th grade art teacher. And.........not to say that your drawing isn't "creative" or anything, but I think that may be the first time I've actually seen a "stick cart."

Coltf1911 My ramps are straight aluminum. Got 'em at Cabela's.

KAB69440 That's an interesting set up that you have there. I'm trying my best to stay away from anything that will put anything on the front end lower or low....as I don't want to whack into a ditch with it.

The option of making the post higher is semi-viable. Except, once I put my cover on....I really don't want to cut the front cover to make a hole in it. Maybe I could drill a hole in the existing post and make it so it slides over the existing post and "pins" into the existing post.

Good ideas gents! Thanks. As I had no ideas at all before I posted here.

Again....thanks.

Dave
Davemuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If there is anything solid to attach it to between the wheel wells or a bit further back, install another fold down post about like the one in front. Make it so it folds forward and when it is upright, it is tipped slightly past 90 degree to the rear and solidly blocked there. Install roller or pulley on top and run the cable the winch is drawing in across it. When leading edge of cart runs into new bracket, it will push it over center and it will fall out of way.

This will do same to cable angle as raising front bracket.

It'll take some measuring to find out how far back/forward to install it so it won't go down until front wheels are in truck bed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Dave I have the same ramps and the are sweet. Something that would really really help out is getting curved ramps. Way better angle.
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:39 PM   #15
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davemuzz View Post
. Maybe I could drill a hole in the existing post and make it so it slides over the existing post and "pins" into the existing post.
This ^

All you need is a heavy piece of square tubing twice as long or longer than your current post that you could just slide over the top and pin it through the hole in the current post. Let it bottom out and just put the hole to line up with the post you have. Then just pull the pin and slide off when your done and its out of the way.

If any machine shops are in your area check with them. I bet they might have a piece of heavy gauge scrap laying around and would drill you a hole for a few bucks.
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #16
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't know if this is available to you, but is there a small ditch or hill where you can either back the truck down in or back up to to get a straighter angle on your ramps? I've done this many times to load equipment. It doesn't take much of a drop or hill either.
I'd be leery of lengthening the front post. There will be a lot more leverage at the bottom then, and could cause it to bend down into the bed.
I really like your guard and winch setup!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #17
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Not to be simple, but I've loaded a few carts in the back of pickups, and everyone of them drove in fine up the ramps from a level clearing. It can be a bit exciting when you almost drive through the rear window, but that keeps the blood pumping!!

I understand with a disability and being in an off-road situation there are times when the angle of the ramps and the traction available just aren't safe for loading under power and the winch is the safest option, if it were mine I would consider moving the winch to the rear and hard mounting a full steel plate to the last crossmember on the frame, then back the cart into the truck. This would also make it very easy to drive the cart out when it is time to unload.
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #18
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcitech View Post
Not to be simple, but I've loaded a few carts in the back of pickups, and everyone of them drove in fine up the ramps from a level clearing. It can be a bit exciting when you almost drive through the rear window, but that keeps the blood pumping!!

I understand with a disability and being in an off-road situation there are times when the angle of the ramps and the traction available just aren't safe for loading under power and the winch is the safest option, if it were mine I would consider moving the winch to the rear and hard mounting a full steel plate to the last crossmember on the frame, then back the cart into the truck. This would also make it very easy to drive the cart out when it is time to unload.
This would also put the major center of weight of the cart directly above the trucks axle so there would be less front lift on the truck while haulin' the cart! (small difference, but enough to be noticed on a light duty truck.
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #19
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davemuzz View Post
KGSC First off....I have to tell you that my wife is a 5th grade art teacher. And.........not to say that your drawing isn't "creative" or anything, but I think that may be the first time I've actually seen a "stick cart."

Coltf1911 My ramps are straight aluminum. Got 'em at Cabela's.

KAB69440 That's an interesting set up that you have there. I'm trying my best to stay away from anything that will put anything on the front end lower or low....as I don't want to whack into a ditch with it.

The option of making the post higher is semi-viable. Except, once I put my cover on....I really don't want to cut the front cover to make a hole in it. Maybe I could drill a hole in the existing post and make it so it slides over the existing post and "pins" into the existing post.

Good ideas gents! Thanks. As I had no ideas at all before I posted here.

Again....thanks.

Dave
HEY HEY HEY OUCH

YOU try drawing something with one of those stupid laptop touch screen mice. It ain't so easy.

My picture or lack there of, was to try to explain what a few others have said also. Build an X brace that you can stand up in the rear of the bed that the cable can lay in while bringing the cart up the ramps. Make the top of the X a little taller than the bed. Once the front wheels clear and hence the stress is gone, knock it out of the way. and proceed. This will make the winch pull in a straight line until it clears the angle.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:14 AM   #20
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I think the easiest and safest fix would be to remove the plastic suspension cover on the cart and beef up the winch mount.
Even if it involves a welding shop to get it done properly and then never worry about it again.
There's plenty of frame under there to tie into and then mod the plastic cover to reinstall.
Winch cables under load with makeshift braces and arms are a potential danger to all around.
Save money elsewhere but be safe in this area.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO