lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Post 1999 Ezgo TXT Battery Problems

Well I'm back...And with more Golf Cart Problems. Anyways I have a 1999 EZGO TXT Electric, I was traveling up a hill one day and I started to smell a (Burning Plastic kind of smell.) When I had picked up that smell I had already made it to the top of the Hill, and then all of a sudden the golf cart just Shut Off, Completely Dead. I parked the Golf Cart lifted the seat and I noticed one of the Battery's terminals was completely Melted off. I am not sure which battery this is but it is the drivers side battery, closest to the Cowl, and closest to the Steering wheel. So I changed the Battery and everything was Great for about 3 Months. About 4 Days ago the Same Thing happened again on the same hill...(Not A Steep Hill). So Today I changed it AGAIN and the same thing happened AGAIN!!!. So that's 3 Batteries in the last 3 months. But the thing is, On the 3rd time that this has happened I was on Completely FLAT ground. But another thing is that out of the 3 times I replaced this one battery in the SAME SPOT I never bothered checking the other Battery cables to make sure they were tight , But I realize now that I should do that every Couple Weeks. The Biggest thing I have noticed is that the wire coming from the controller to the battery where the wire is bolted onto the controller the whole bolt is covered in green corrosion right on the controller. I wish I had some pictures for you guys but I am unable to get them right now. The Next time I will be able to work on the Cart is this Friday then I'm free for a week.

Any Other thing I should Check?

I want to buy new battery cables what are the best battery cables I can Get?

I Attached A picture to show you the Battery and Terminal I am talking about. (This is not my golf cart).

Respect-To the Owner of the attached Photo.

Thanks for Everyones Help.

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10s.jpg (90.0 KB, 17 views)
pjmia96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
TDAWG
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1999 Ezgo TXT Battery Problems

Replace the cable that is connected to that battery terminal and check all of the other cables also. A 1999 cart is 13 years old. It would not hurt to replace all of the cables. Also would not hurt to replace your F&R assembly if this is a series cart.
TDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It is a series, Sounds Good

Thank You
Old 12-29-2011, 12:43 AM   #4
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Post Re: 1999 Ezgo TXT Battery Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDAWG View Post
Also would not hurt to replace your F&R assembly if this is a series cart.
Do you mean the F&R Switch?
Old 12-29-2011, 01:13 AM   #5
TDAWG
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmia96 View Post
Do you mean the F&R Switch?
No I meant the F&R assembly.
TDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:02 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmia96 View Post
................I want to buy new battery cables what are the best battery cables I can Get?...............
I'm old school, so I'm biased towards sealed silver soldered lugs, high strand count welding cable and the larger the cross section (number of circular mils), the better.
Here is where I got my 2Ga cables:
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter..._Upgrades.html

Whether the F/R control is a switch or an assembly is debatable since it is a bunch of parts put together in an assembly that switches the direction of current flow in the stator of the series wound motor. Whatever you choose to call it, you'll probably need a HD (Heavy Duty) one when you upgrade your cables.
It depends on the condition of the stationary contacts, but you might luck out and only need a HD Cam for your F/R Control.

Be sure to replace all 13 high current cables because total motor current flows through all of them every time the cart moves.
Note: If you have a 4 blade controller, there are 14 cables, but the cable connecting Controller A2 to Motor A2 cable isn't used in normal operation.

Attached is a drawing showing the motor current path in a series cart. When the cart moves, the same high current flows through the solenoid contacts, the armature, the stator, the F/R contacts, the controller, the 13 interconnecting cables and the batteries themselves. Basically, it is a chain and a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

As for the tightness of the cables on the battery terminals, over-tightening can cause problems also. The stud is a bolt with its Hex-head embedded in lead, so too much torque will turn it inside the lead. Max torque is only 10-15 ft/lb, which is very easy to exceed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hi Current Circuit - Series Motor - EDITED.JPG (63.6 KB, 9 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1999, 1999 ezgo, battery condition, ezgo, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO