lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
rberg31
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Series Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Dips View Post
hey rberg, what kind of cart do you have?
Same as you, 2006 ezgo txt series cart. Only mods so far have been lift and tires/wheels.
rberg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Slowing when going up hill is the nature of the beast. Typically the stock carts will slow to 40-50% of top speed while on a grade. Installing taller tires will worsen this slowing effect. And it is hard on the controller and motor. Upgrading the system to larger (higher amperage) speed control is the best way to improve torque and recover your losses.
In addition to a bigger controller you will need a bigger solenoid. And bigger cables to help deliver the amperage. And in a series cart you will need to upgrade the F&R switch to complete the amperage delivery system upgrade.

Even with all the improvements the cart will still slow down some on the hills, just not as much...

Keep in mind the cart was designed for 2 men rolling along on 18" tires on a mild golf course. Everything must be upgraded for a 4 passenger hunting buggie.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #13
fjatl
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I too have an 06 TXT that is lifted. Mine was refurbed by EZGO, and I know they upped the controller to 400A. Seems to have plenty of torque, but still slows uphill with my fam of 4 on it. I'll need to check the solenoid, cables and F/R switch too.

Donkey and rberg, have either of you made changes since this post? Curious to know what you did and how it's working for you if so...
fjatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #14
rocknrone
Romans 1 : 16 Unashamed

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjatl View Post
I too have an 06 TXT that is lifted. Mine was refurbed by EZGO, and I know they upped the controller to 400A. Seems to have plenty of torque, but still slows uphill with my fam of 4 on it. I'll need to check the solenoid, cables and F/R switch too.

Donkey and rberg, have either of you made changes since this post? Curious to know what you did and how it's working for you if so...
Just for your information: I also have a 06 Series Txt. Stock with 20" tires, I was only getting about 13mph on flat asphalt and 10-11 uphill or on dirt roads. I wanted to add a backseat and a lift and bigger tires, so I first upgraded the powertrain. I went to 48v, installed ScottyB's 2 ga cables, put in a 500 amp alltrax spm controller, and a 400 amp h/d solenoid all from ScottyB. I added the Jakes long travel from East Coast Custom Carts and 23" all terrain tires, and put the back seat on. With the stock motor, I was getting 19mph on flat asphalt and about 17 uphill and on dirt roads. Most of my riding is dirt roads, however, and my stock motor was getting way too hot. I upgraded to a Redhawk Admiral High Speed motor from Golf Cart King, and it gives me 22-23 mph on flat asphalt and 19-20 uphill and on dirt roads. I now also have enough torque to pull about a 12" wheelie for about 30 feet! My only regret is that I didn't spend a little more and get a D&D speed/torque motor to get a few more mph out of it. I may upgrade the motor shortly as the wallet and wife allow. lol. I think my results are somewhat typical of these upgrades, however I realize this thread was about 36v and not 48v, but I think the 48 is definitely worth it!
rocknrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #15
rberg31
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjatl View Post

Fj, I have not made any other upgrades other than the larger rims tires, and lift. I did buy some two gauge cable to upgrade my wires, however, I couldn't find the lugs locally, and need to order online. Once I upgrade my wires, my plan is to upgrade controller and switch. I like many of the guys on this forum have a laundry list of things I want to add, I just have to space out my purchases so that the boss lady doesn't get too crazy. I have been eyeballing the plum quick motor upgrade as well. Honestly I used my cart in its current configuration all last hunting season and it worked well for my purposes. I think the addition of some beefier rear springs and a rear bench seat are in the works before this upcoming deer season as I want the seat that doubles as a flatbed to haul feed, corn, seed etc.
rberg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #16
fjatl
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks rocknrone, appreciate you sharing your set up. I'll definitely be tagging this thread!

rberg, yep same boat here with figuring how to keep purchases on then DL. I'm still getting used to it and putting my list together...need more time with it first!
fjatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO