lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Odle Studio
Not Yet Wild

Default 07 precedent will take off with full power then almost quit

I have an 07 48v (4-12's) precedent, and after a full charge it will take off with full power then drop down like it is only on 24 volts and barely pull back into the cart house. I have charged it 3 times in the last 3 weeks...

It will only go about 30 ft before kicking back down, but if it sits in it's place for a minute will go back to full power then kick back down again. I noticed the batteries were getting weaker and weaker last season, as it would only go 18-27 holes before showing signs of weakness... Now 30 ft!

Is this a battery issue, computer issue, or speed controller, and how would I check any of these?

I think these are the original batteries as they are stamped with Club Car, It was a lease cart from a course when I bought it last year. It did have a speedy link installed on it that bypasses the motor brake...

Any other info needed, please let me know.

Thanks,

Wes
Odle Studio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 07 precedent will take off with full power then almost quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odle Studio View Post
I have an 07 48v (4-12's) precedent, and after a full charge it will take off with full power then drop down like it is only on 24 volts and barely pull back into the cart house. I have charged it 3 times in the last 3 weeks...

It will only go about 30 ft before kicking back down, but if it sits in it's place for a minute will go back to full power then kick back down again. I noticed the batteries were getting weaker and weaker last season, as it would only go 18-27 holes before showing signs of weakness... Now 30 ft!

Is this a battery issue, computer issue, or speed controller, and how would I check any of these?

I think these are the original batteries as they are stamped with Club Car, It was a lease cart from a course when I bought it last year. It did have a speedy link installed on it that bypasses the motor brake...

Any other info needed, please let me know.

Thanks,

Wes
When trouble shooting it's wise to always start with the batteries. You need to charge them up and let the charger run it's full cycle. Let the cart sit for at least 12 hours, then take your meter and post each of the batteries state of charge along with the whole pack. Also make sure the water levels are just above the plates before charging and fill to the proper level after charging. It sounds like a battery issue but need this info to tell for sure.

If you look on the neg post it will have a date stamp on them.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Ride it til it acts up. Hop off and try to push it. If the cart tries to slow itself and the reverse buzzer goes beep beep beep you may have a battery problem. If the cart pushes easily, as if it were in the tow position you've got a bad speed sensor. Simple, easy fix.

EDIT: Yes, I understand it's got a Speedy Link installed to tweak the speed sensor output, however the SpeedyLink still needs a good working speed sensor for it to work properly. It might be a bad SpeedyLink.... Disconnect it and hook the harness pigtail directly to the speed sensor and see if the problem goes away.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
Odle Studio
Not Yet Wild

Batteries are 07 as stamped on the negative post... Serial number for the cart is pq0742-830790 if that helps. Will run it on charge tonight and check tomorrow for state of charge. Each and whole pack.

It's a good start so we will go from there.

Thanks again.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
Odle Studio
Not Yet Wild

I disconnected it and it still does the same thing. I will however check the push test!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Odle Studio
Not Yet Wild

I can push it all the way down the driveway forward or backward without any warning buzzer or slowing down... It tried to beep once but only got a half of a beep out but never slowed down when pushing backward.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

TahoeDawgz...nailed it for you..... I smell bad speed sensor....
and by the way I built a "speedy link" circuit and it caused nothing but trouble "CONFUSING" my comtroller..especially when i was going fast and then just went into coast....all of a sudden the motor drag (regen)would kick in..funt to play with ...fun to build.....better to remove.

you can buy a new speed sensor for around $150 or if you can do soldering and wiring you can replace yours for around $5.00

in the photos ....this is a allegro 1302 hall effect sensor
www.digikey.com part ----# 620-1012-nd ----$1.55
the photo shows the wire colors....
you are looking at the sensor (bottom right photo-) with the BEVELED SIDE up. (flat side down)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speed sensor finished view .jpg (177.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg speed sensor hollowed out.jpg (4.0 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg speed sensor allegro wiring .jpg (4.3 KB, 123 views)
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
Odle Studio
Not Yet Wild

Got two ordered... We will go from there!
Old 01-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odle Studio View Post
Got two ordered... We will go from there!
two ordered of what ....complete speed sensor..or the parts to build one ????
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
Odle Studio
Not Yet Wild

Just the parts... 1.50 ea... Thought I would get two just in case I screwed one up with the solder...
the hall effect sensor is all I will need right?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car