lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Brake lights stay on

Hello to all. Helping a friend with his 2004 CC Presendent professional serial #PQ 0440 445176. If the key is on the brake lights are on. Unplug any of the three wires from the brake light switch and the lights go off. So I suspect a bad switch. Is there a way to test the brake light switch to confirm that it is the problem? Is there something more obvious I'm missing?

Information off the switch:
CMT 1008{40-60020}Rev A
MFG 3/19/04
serial# M02678

This is a great group, Thanks.
PuttPutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Brake lights stay on

There's no need to test it. That's definitely your problem if it's turning off when you unplug it.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Replaced the switch and that fixed the brake lights now the next broblem is the time delay with the parking brake on. I'll start a new thread.

Thanks.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuttPutt View Post
Replaced the switch and that fixed the brake lights now the next broblem is the time delay with the parking brake on. I'll start a new thread.

Thanks.
That's not a problem. It's incorporated into the factory switch.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
LJ12530
Gone Wild

OK, don't ban me, but I'd like to comment on the response to the original post. I realize that TahoeDawg has forgotten more about golf carts that I will ever know. If I'm missing something let me know......politely.

Hopefully I've attached a pic of the same switch from another Precedent. I believe this is how the switch is supposed to work.

Before the brake pedal is pressed the Brown and B/W Wires are not connected ( normally open switch ). The Brown Wire is connected to the Red wire ( internally ) through a diode and an approx 500 ohm resistor. This provides a voltage for the electronics to operate. This includes an inductive sensor that activates the switch when a small metal tab on the brake pedal slides into the slot on the switch. When the pedal is pushed the Brown Wire is connected ( through a transistor I believe, not sure ) to the Black/White wire. This closed circuit allows the brake relay to pick up. When the switch closes the Brown Wire is essentially connected to the Red Wire, but via a path that has a diode and approx 180 ohm resistor. This probably powers an internal timer.
When the switch operates properly depressing the pedal also starts an internal timer that begins about a 3 minute delay before the contacts open.
Releasing the break pedal does not turn off the brake lights immediately, but after a 3 minute delay.
Removing any of the 3 wires will cause the switch to stop functioning properly, causing the brake relay to drop out, thus turning off the brake lights ( not the tail lights )

Try putting a voltmeter between the Brown and Red Wires, and then reverse them. When you put the + lead on the Brown Wire, and the - lead on the Red Wire you will read about 500 ohms. When you reverse the leads you will show an open circuit because the diode is reverse biased.

respectfully submitted....

ps...I know my posts are lengthy but I can't help it...I used to be an engineer!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0083.jpg (44.0 KB, 6 views)
LJ12530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Great information. Yes looks like same switch. head lights tail lights work fine. original problem was brake lights stayed on all the time. replaced switch
and brake lights work fine. And now I just tryed the delay parking brake and it is working also. I guess I didn't wait long enough. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuttPutt View Post
Great information. Yes looks like same switch. head lights tail lights work fine. original problem was brake lights stayed on all the time. replaced switch
and brake lights work fine. And now I just tryed the delay parking brake and it is working also. I guess I didn't wait long enough. Thanks for your help.
So with the parking brake pedal depressed and key on, the brake lights should shut off after 3min?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #8
LJ12530
Gone Wild

If you look at the owners manual for the years that have that switch it has a note that says that the lights will stay on for 3 minutes.

The switch I am using to figure out how it works was having a problem with a variable lights off problem. Sometimes they would go off right away and sometimes they would stay on for hours. I replaced the brake relay ( the contacts could have been sticking ) and the same problem existed. That's what spurred me to find out how the switch works. It is an inductive slot switch. My switch was made by ITM ( or ITW....bad memory ). I called them and was told that it was a Club Car proprietary switch. If you check I have a previous post on the same subject.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
LJ12530
Gone Wild

From 2006 Precedent Owners manual. I've also seen it in others, but it is not in my 09 Owners Manual. You have to add a timed relay to my cart if you want the light delay feature....with the factory install.

NOTE: Vehicles equipped with lights: After the park brake is engaged, the brake lights will remain illuminated for up to four minutes.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
LJ12530
Gone Wild

Regarding the light switch having to be on.
On my cart the brake light circuit is not wired through the switch. The brake lights work with/without the key being on.
I think that a lot of kits do go through the switch. I think mine work with the tow/run in tow also.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car