lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
piercede
Not Yet Wild

Default 2004 EZ-GO TXT Electric Cart randomly stops for short time

I recently inherited a 2004 EZ-GO 36v elec. cart from my dad, the cart has rims (sorry don't know size) with mud tires on it, a top, and the rear seat attachment.

The problem I am having is, cart runs great 99% of the time, but there is a field next to me with prarie grass about 1-2' high that I hit golf balls in to and started using this cart to retreive them. Works fine moving continuously at a very slow pace, until we get up the hill a ways (about 10 minutes in) and then if you stop, and are in a slight rut or hole, and try to take off, the cart will barely engage, and seem like it just "gives up" for lack of a better term and won't move. If I push the pedal it will jump every slightly and then stop again.

If I let it sit for about 30 seconds, then it runs fine, fires out of the rut, and works well for another minute or so and does it again. Once I go downhill and back on normal ground, the cart runs fine and doesn't act up.

So to me and my novice experience with electric, it seems like something in the cart is tripping a sensor, or overheating due to over work?? I assume this as it works after sitting for 30 seconds.

Anyway, any ideas out there if this is normal operation, or if there is something that needs looked at on the cart?

Thanks much.

Brian.
piercede is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
dcbaker
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Smile Re: 2004 EZ-GO TXT Electric Cart randomly stops for short time

Brian, since nobody has replied, i thought I'd give it a shot. Golf carts are not meant to creep along at a slow speed, especially PDS carts. The controller is overheating and stallng. This is very hard on the controller and the damage is accumlitive. I see a new contoller in your future. Try not to run the cart slow for more than a couple of minutes, and keep your speed up as much as you safely can. This is my first post, so all you veterans go easy on me if I'm wrong.

Dale
dcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2004 EZ-GO TXT Electric Cart randomly stops for short time

Yep ,you both are correct. It is going into a thermal shutdown mode. Heat is generated drawing increased amperage due to bigger tire size and larger work loads...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
piercede
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2004 EZ-GO TXT Electric Cart randomly stops for short time

Thanks to both of you for your answer. So it seems it is a safety feature due to overheat/overload of what the cart can do.

Is there more durable parts that can be put on to handle this better? New controller? What is the ballpark price of these if you have that info?

THanks much for all your info, very good to know on the thermal shutdown mode and overheating controller.
piercede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
John C
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

It's just starting for you. Before I changed all my stuff out, I could pull against one of the parking bump stops and cart would just sit there with pedal mashed to the floor, no go. Now after my upgrades, the same bump stop, the buggy pops right over it, plenty of power. Scottyb would be the one to hook you up!!
John C is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO